Line-6 POD V2

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a multi-effects box for my electric guitar (squire strat), this is to encourage me to play it more because I find myself playing my acoustic because i can't get the sound i want from my electric.

Anyway - I've been looking at the Line-6 POD V2 for around £120 (sterling), my limit is about £150 (because i'm always broke, but managed to save this much!).

I just wondered if any of you guys know if these are good or not, or if there is something similar that is a better buy.

Because I'm new to guitar (about 6 months playing) I'm not sure which makes to look out for especially for effects units.

Hope you can help, I dont want to waste my money and i'm getting confused trying to look for similar things online.

nice one

J.

p.s. I haven't been on here for about a month and its changed!!

(@Anonymous)

I have the Behringer V-Amp 2 and the Line 6 GuitarPort...bot have their advantages...however I like the V-Amp just a bit better. Line 6 now makes you register to download tones from their site...it used to be free no it's$7 per month...V-Amp has several resources plus free software that lets you edit tones via your omputer with more options...(You do need a midi to USB cable to to this)...plus V-Amp isMUCH cheaper than the Pod...

Arjen is the resident expert on effects modeling and I know he has a V-Amp and love it...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The real question is whether you are looking, primarily, for effects or modelling. The Pod and V-Amp are as much about modelling as about effects. If you are only after effects, then, there are better ways to go. Behringer, Zoom, Digitech and Korg all have pure effects footpedals that come into your price range.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick replies

I'll sound like a real newbie by saying "What is modelling?"

and to answer the questions, I'm looking for effects more than anything, unless I find out what modelling is! :lol: :?

I just want to have effects to create different sounds while i'm practising or jamming.

Any suggestions? on what to get.
Behringer, Zoom, Digitech and Korg all have pure effects footpedals that come into your price range.

are these multi effect pedals or single effects?

anyone know a good site to buy? UK if possible.

:? really appreciate the help, I haven't a clue at the mo.

nice one

J.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Modelling is digital circuitry that attempts to "model" (imitate) well-known amps and speaker cabinets, so, for example, you could model a Marshall Plexi head with Vox speaker cabinets and get a reasonable imitation. The problem is, that your amp and speakers also colour the sound, so you'll never get a true reproduction.
As for good sites, in the UK, you'll have to wait for one of the UK contingent, I'm afraid.
Don't worry about asking "silly" questions - if you don't, you'll never learn.

Edit:
I can't tell you how good the prices are, but you'll get an idea of the market:

http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk

Select your location "United Kingdom", in the left hand list select "Outboard Equipment", then, under Effect-Units", select "multi-effects"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

For the money...you'd be better getting a V-Amp or PodXT...because that way you canexperiment with MANY sounds for less than $100 (if you get the V-Amp)...you can always turn the amps/cabinets off. You get more bang for the buck with the V-Amp...plus on eBay you can get them for $60-$70...or new they are $99 (plus most local stores will pricematch legit "online stores"...not "auctions".

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey JimBob,

Here's my experience...

I've been playing a bit over a year now and I started that quest for tone early into about my 5th month.

I first bought a Digitech RP100A. Good lil "TOY" for the money. It has some modeling capabilities (amp, speaker, mic) and some effects, but the tone started to sound very processed and not so good. I did like the drum/beat tracks on it and used them a lot for practice.

Then I got a V-AMP on sale for about $75 from Musicians Friend. It first took me a while to warm up to it, but once I got the hang of how it works I fell in love with is, especially since I could plug in headphones early in the morning and rock out without making any noise really.

The V-AMP is a direct competitor to the POD. Its like a Chevy Truck and a Ford Truck. They're both the same thing (ESSENTIALLY), just made by two different companies. I don't have any experience with the POD but I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with either one.

Since I've had the V-AMP I recommend them highly, if for no other reason, they sound GREAT and they're very good value for the money spent.

Then my instructor turned me on to one of his Tube amps at his house and I fell in love with the creamy soft sounds of a good clean 'tubed' amp. Then I got one of those.... Hot Rod Deluxe. But with my V-amp plugged into it, it didn't sound so good, I tried only using the "Effects" but it didn't quite cut the mustard. I've since learned that these multi effects like the POD and V-AMP sound great through a PA speaker set up, but not so good through an amp.

So then I started experiementing with regular effects pedals, distortion pedals, EQ's etc.

Anyhoo long story.... longer :shock: :D I came across a screaming deal on an American Strat that I couldn't pass up and did some trading to get the CASH price on it down. Of the things I traded was my V-AMP. It was hard, but I HAD to have an American Strat.

Anyway, as mentioned before I found that I liked the BOSS pedals the best and looking at the display at my local store, the one with all those pedals up on the board together.... I then saw the GT-8 and asked about it...but thats another story.

As far as your price range and what your looking for, you can't go wrong with either a POD or V-Amp. My recomendation would lean towards the V-AMP... save a few Euros with it and buy a new cable or MIDI > USB or a new song book or something.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Oh yeah, if you want a good read, here's a pretty good link. <shrugs>

Modeler Shoot Out

He compares the V-Amp to some of the Higher End Multi FX'rs on the Market right now.. it holds up pretty well. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Jim, to add more confusion to this discussion, I would suggest taking a look at some of the modelling amps. I got a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT recently and love it. You get the benefit of a whole new amp, but it has 11 amp models and several effects built in to it. You can go from a super clean sound, through the slight overdriven bluesy tones, and into the screaming distortion of metal with a flick of the switch on your amp.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/ad15vtad30vt.htm

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

What dagwood said PLUS...with the V-Amp you can experiment with all the sounds and key into the sounds you like...then when you're ready you can get the amp & pedals that fit the sound you are looking for. I too would like a tube amp someday...with a straight tele sound for my "main tone". But I never would have learnedthis without having the V-Amp to play with...plus it's fun to play with the sounds you most likely will NEVER use...ie. phaser (at least HARDLY ever use...)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't bother with the POD2.0. Behringer did a pretty good job at cloning it with the V-amp2, major difference is that the V-amp is cheaper and comes with a footswitch and gigbag. All POD2 presets are downloadable for the V-amp as well. The POD XT on the other hand is obviously of better quality, but also three times as much. The Pod XT Pro is about $500 more expensive then the V-amp pro, the normal XT $200 more then the normal V-amp2.

Anyway, $99 (probably also 99 GBP, unfortunately) for the V-amp really isn't that much for what you get, it's a nice but still cheap introduction to all kinds of distortions and effects.

ReplyQuote
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the Help guys.

I have more of an idea what to look and go for now.

I think I'll take my guitar to my local shop and try a few out, now i have more of an idea what to try out.

Now I've been looking around and reading up I think i could do with a better Amp too, will have to send my letter to Santa :wink:

cheers again for all the help.

J.

ReplyQuote
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I've still been looking online, avoiding working!

Found this http://www.instrumentpro.co.uk/P-BEHLX1112?source=froogle

it has the V-Amp built in, if I'm correct and is a good buy if I'm correct?

but i dont actually know that i'm correct! Help please!? :oops: :roll:

I only have a 10watt practice amp so I know this would be at least a step forward, but could do with your opinions again.

thanks, thanks and thanks again.

I can't stop looking :roll:

J.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

So I've still been looking online, avoiding working!

Found this http://www.instrumentpro.co.uk/P-BEHLX1112?source=froogle

it has the V-Amp built in, if I'm correct and is a good buy if I'm correct?

but i dont actually know that i'm correct! Help please!? :oops: :roll:

I only have a 10watt practice amp so I know this would be at least a step forward, but could do with your opinions again.

thanks, thanks and thanks again.

I can't stop looking :roll:

J.

Yes you are correct...that is the V-Ampire...a nice amp and power...however...my suggestion would be to get the V-Amp seperate (I only have a 15 watt amp...) until you develop a sound you like...you will want to upgrade you amp eventually...but the V-Amp would be the cheapest and most versitile choice...

I loved the V-Ampire when I played it. but for the money the V-Amp 2 is the BESTbang for the buck...IMHO

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that is an amp with a V-amp Pro build in. It should be a nice purchase but me myself never have been able to get the sound out if it it should be able to produce. It sounded much more 'bland' as if the UltraG speakersim was constantly enabled over the normal cabsims. Strange stuff, I went to try/buy it months ago but ended with a V-amp and GMX212. Guess the speakers have something to do with it as well. In any case, try it yourself, it's all very subjective and many people can't stop raving about the V-ampire.

On the other hand it could be a BIG step up if you have the standard 'not-so-good' 10w amp with a tiny speaker of the same quality.

ReplyQuote