Clear all

Live Performance

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@shawntooley)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to find something cheap that I can use to add reverb to my singer's input on our mixer while we are performing live.I know they make footpedals for guitars... do they make anything similar for XLR microphones?

(@larro123)
Eminent Member

Behringer DSP2024P Virtualizer Pro $129.99 at MusiciansFriend.com

You might find a similar effects processor used on ebay.

ReplyQuote
(@shawntooley)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

I've never purchased this type of item before... should it sit in a rack? Does it have cooling if it gets hot?

N00b questions ;)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This is not cheap, but it is very impressive.

Digitech VPR Vocalist Performer

I know a singer who uses this. I don't know where he got it, but he has a fixture mounted on his mic that holds this unit right in front of him. When he needs an effect he just presses the right button. The harmonies this unit will produce are amazing. They really sound great. It also has a great reverb.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You could also think about any of multi-effects processors either rack mount or floor that will allow to connection into an effects loop or use a direct out from the one Mic and loop it back into another channel or if stereo loop it back into two channels. Multi units will also have many other effects that can be used to enhance a performance.

There are many rack mount and floor effects to choose from, maybe given a certain price ranger would help decide which ones we could post to better help you out. Companies like Art, Peavey, Digitech, make both types.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@shawntooley)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, thus far I'm a happy camper. You guys rock!

I went down to our local music store and started talking to the guy about "multi-effects processors" - and he sold me a:

Lexicon MPX110 for $!50. It was used for 1 show, the buyer didn't like it, it sells for almost $200.

I plugged it into my mixer and WOOHOO! It works. Ladies and gentlemen, we have reverb! I tweaked the settings to my liking and *presto*!

I don't sound like such a dork when I sing now ;)

Now then.... for you hardware geniuses out there.

I own a Berenger Eurorack UB1202 Mixing Board.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040717135716024059054120074792/g=live/g=live/content/doc_id=91865/base_pid=631236/

I have 2 microphones plugged in (XLR cables) to Channels 1 and 2 - and my Digitech GNX2 plugged in to Channel 3.

I have my new Lexicon Reverb Processor plugged in thriugh the FX send and out on Channel 5 (Stereo).

My question is - how do I get the mixer to not add the effects to the guitar? I tried turning the FX off on channel 3 but it mutes the guitar completely. :)

ReplyQuote
(@larro123)
Eminent Member

If your channels have a button that says alt 3/4, try this. If you have vocals on channel 1 and guitar on 3, press the alt 3/4 button for channel 1 (vocals) and also press the alt 3/4 button for the effects send. I think this puts them together and seperates them from the rest of the inputs.

Bear in mind that I barely understand what I just told you, but it's worth a try.

ReplyQuote
(@shawntooley)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, dont have those buttons.

I included a pic of my machine in the post above the one you wrote. ;)

I thought if I just turn FX to the left (0) on channel 3.... it should just shut off the Effects.

Side Note: I'm wearing headphones. I'll run a test in the AM and see if when I use my main outputs if it works correctly. It might just be a headphone thing.

ReplyQuote
(@larro123)
Eminent Member

I think all you need to do is turn the "effects" or "aux" knob up for the channel you want to go through the effects loop and leave it zeroed out for the other channels (not turned all the way down but straight up at "0")

Does that make sense? If that doesn't do it hopefully some real studio gurus will chime in and we'll both learn something :)

I have a UB1204FX so it's very similar to yours.

Larry

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Maybe try connecting the effects unit to effects send and then connect it coming back in on channels 3 and 4 and connect the Digitech GNX2 to an Aux in. or have the effects unit come back in on an Aux in. it's a matter of experimenting. Being the mixer dosen't have direct outs for each channel leaves very few options.

Joe

ReplyQuote