Notifications
Clear all

Looking for good amp that won't bother the wife

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dkeenom)
Topic starter  

Hi, I'm new to the forum and th eguitar world.
I just bought a Fender Standard Strat (left-handed) and love it. After a month of trying to play with an old Yamaha SE350 with the nut and strings reversed the Fender is great. I want to be able to play country and classic rock from the 80's. AC/DC Scorpions type stuff.

I have a older Fender Squire 15 Amp that has issues. The volume goes from barely able to hear it to run you out of the room on the 1 setting. Move the amp and/or cable and it changes. It more than likely has a short.

I am looking for a good pratice amp that sounds good without being loud. The wife is pregnat and would like to be able to rest. I have checked online but the reviews are mixed on alll that I am interested in. If I ever get good enough to play in public I'll get a bigger amp. I need something for a small room. Money is an issue. I would like to keep it around 100 but not over 200 US.

Thanks

Dave Keenom - Instructor
http://www.TacticalResponse.com
Office 731-676-2041
Cell 931-320-0409

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you want a low volume "bedroom" amp, you've got three choices, really:

Pay out the wazoo for a <1W boutique tube mini-amp

Build " " " " yourself

Buy one of the little cheapie transistor mini-amps. (I've got a Danelectro Honeytone, and it's really not bad.)

Yet another option is a Roland Microcube. Not really that low powered, but you can get good sounds out of it at pretty low volumes.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Don't forget the headphone option. Many multi-EFX pedals (Pod!) have a headphone out, as do some of the smaller SS amps (Fender 15 or 25).

Just a thought.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

http://www.proaudiomusic.com/amplifiers/smokey_amp.htm
or my fender frontman has a headphone out. As does my crate gx-212. However I'd probly go with a amp modler like the POD or vampII.

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

You can get a behringer V-Amp2 for 100.00 with a case and foot pedal. Then you can use headphones or run a line into your computer and record. I have one and its great. Several others here have them as well. Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I am looking for a good pratice amp that sounds good without being loud. The wife is pregnat and would like to be able to rest. I have checked online but the reviews are mixed on alll that I am interested in. If I ever get good enough to play in public I'll get a bigger amp. I need something for a small room. Money is an issue. I would like to keep it around 100 but not over 200 US.

Thanks

I'd take a good look at the Vox AD30VT. It's slightly more than your top quote, but you can set the output power anywhere from 1 watt to 30 watts (which is enough power to play up to moderate size clubs!)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@dkeenom)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the good advice. The Squire smelled kind of musty when I took the back off of it. So, I set it in the sun while I was at work yesterday and it works ok now. It ws made in 1988. I am still going to get another amp probally the VOX that was suggested. I am interested in the VAMP but think it might have too many settings for someone just starting out.

Dave Keenom - Instructor
Office 731-676-2041
Cell 931-320-0409

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

I am interested in the VAMP but think it might have too many settings for someone just starting out.

Its actually quite simple thats why I like it so much :D . But go to your guitar shop try out both see which one you like better. I think lots of people here have the Vox and I have heard nothing but good things. So I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Shibby

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There are ways of reducing the volume of an guitar amp. I have never looked at volume as being an issue when purching an amp. If you decided to purchase whatever tube amp you fancy and whatever watts you wanted. You could run the amp into an attenuator and cut the volume to headphone level or use a dummyload and reduce it to line signal. It really comes down to getting the amp you want and that reflects the tone your after. Other ideas might include getting a Multi-effects pedal and plugging headphones into.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dkeenom)
Topic starter  

Well, I just ordered the VOX . Thanks for the advice.

Dave Keenom - Instructor
Office 731-676-2041
Cell 931-320-0409

ReplyQuote
(@dkeenom)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I love the amp. Now if only I can learn new things rather than playing what I do know on every setting.

Dave Keenom - Instructor
Office 731-676-2041
Cell 931-320-0409

ReplyQuote