Clear all

Marshall JCM 2000 + 1960A Cabinet

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It's been many years since I've owned anything but a combo amp and my question is how to properly hook up the subject line amp - head to cabinet? The owner's manual I downloaded is not much help (I'm not even sure it's the right one). The head has a 16/8/4 ohm 1/4 inch outputs and a switch to switch from 4 to 8 ohms.

The cabinet has 2 quarter inch input connections labeled mono and stereo and a switch.

Does anybody own this or similar Marshall?

Thanks guys!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Went to Marshall and looked up this cab, little confusing information there. In stereo this cab operates at 8 ohms, so if you use the cab in stereo, use the 8 ohm output on your head.

In mono the cab is rated 4 or 16 ohms, not really sure I understand this. I would probably use the 4 ohm output if I ran the cab in mono.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1960A/B&pageType=SPECS

Might be a good idea to click on Support at top and ask Marshall themselves.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Went to Marshall and looked up this cab, little confusing information there. In stereo this cab operates at 8 ohms, so if you use the cab in stereo, use the 8 ohm output on your head.

In mono the cab is rated 4 or 16 ohms, not really sure I understand this. I would probably use the 4 ohm output if I ran the cab in mono.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1960A/B&pageType=SPECS

Might be a good idea to click on Support at top and ask Marshall themselves.

I'm relieved to hear it's not completely clear to at least one other person! LOL! Thanks for the response I'll drop them a line - if nothing else to let them know their documentation needs a little work! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, still trying to figure this out. If the cab has four 16 ohms speakers, in stereo you must use two speakers in parallel for 8 ohms per side. I'm thinking you might have to use both input jacks on the cab to do this????

In mono, you could have all four speakers in parallel for a 4 ohms load, then possibly it is configured to run two speakers in parallel for 8 ohms, then in series with the other two speakers in parallel for a total 16 ohms????

I have never run in stereo, so I am not really up on how it's done. I cannot understand stereo in a 4 X 12 cab. How much stereo effect can you get from speakers seperated maybe 18" at most???

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, still trying to figure this out. If the cab has four 16 ohms speakers, in stereo you must use two speakers in parallel for 8 ohms per side. I'm thinking you might have to use both input jacks on the cab to do this????

In mono, you could have all four speakers in parallel for a 4 ohms load, then possibly it is configured to run two speakers in parallel for 8 ohms, then in series with the other two speakers in parallel for a total 16 ohms????

I have never run in stereo, so I am not really up on how it's done. I cannot understand stereo in a 4 X 12 cab. How much stereo effect can you get from speakers seperated maybe 18" at most???

Yeah - I hear ya! You'd have to have your head real close to get that stereo effect! :shock: I think I have it hooked up properly in mono (which is the way you suggested). The backplane and the docs leave a lot to the imagination. :roll: Thanks again for your help!! It's appreciated - I'd never hear the end of it from the wife if it went up in smoke! LOL! :lol:

P.S. I did send Marshall support an e-mail - I'll let you know what I hear back - maybe it'll help somebody else too.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I just got a Marshall JCM 900 4100 dual reverb with a 1960A cab, the connections are similar to yours.

Set impedance switch to Four ohms, switch cabinet to mono and jack into the four ohm jack.

Also be sure you are using speaker wire and not a guitar cable! At least fourteen guage wire. Guitar cable is coaxial and can possibly fry your output transformer.

Yeah, the handbooks that Marshall gives you are a little thin on info.

A good resource for Marshall amps can be found at,

http://plexipalace.com/plexiboard/index.php

Great site for Marshalls and other amps.

BTW, nice amp, welcome to the dark (and loud) side! :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I was gonna suggest you get one of the guys from England on here to read it and see if it made sense to them. :lol: Back when I had my Marshall head in 1993 the internet was not such a big thing so I wrote to them about a manual and they wrote back saying they didn't have such things available, so at least you're ahead of where I was. I was going to suggest a multi tester to measure the cab's impedance in mono but Racetruck seems to have all the info on this as he has one. As far as the stereo effect with speakers in such close proximity, I have done this before with a 2X12 combo. You don't get any seperation, but effects like delay and especially chorus sound a lot deeper, due only to the dual speaker effect. Unless your head is stereo though, you would need another head. I've thought of splitting my Fender 4X12 into a stereo cab and buying another Epi Valve Junior Head and go through a stereo chorus to connect the heads to my guitar. This would double the little amps power, as I would have 2 and as I said, it does make the effect richer.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wes - I threw you a bit of a curve - one of the inputs on the cab is labeled 16 (albeit above the jack). Grrr! Of course the cabinet has labeling in very plain sight for the 'more complicated and less common connection' LOL! They even have the Left jack marked Rt. and the Right marked left! I can buy that though - and they make that fact quiet clear in the manual.

I didn't have it hooked up all wrong - it was just not exactly right <snicker>.

Here's the word from Marshall support:

"The easiest and most common connection is as follows; set the 1960A to Mono, use a speaker cable to connect the DSL's 16 Ohm Only loudspeaker output to the
1960A's 16 Ohm input. The position of the TSL 4/8 Ohm impedance selector does not matter in this scenario. Note that the DSL is not a stereo amp, thus making stereo connections is of no benefit."

racetruck: Yeah, I got a real deal cabinet cable - I could probably jumpstart a car with it! I'll check out the the plexipalace.com link and TRGuitar - thanks for the info on the stereo/effects setup too!

ReplyQuote