Clear all

Matching impedances

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I'm going to be honest, I'm in the wrong forum for this question but I tried a hifi-forum and was ignored.

Anyhow, I actually won a couple of speakers in a competition I entered. It's a couple of Cerwin-Vega VE-8F. And now to the problem. The impedance on these are 4 ohm. My receiver/amplifier (Onkyo TX-NR509) supports 6-16 ohm. So I checked the manual and what it said is that what can happen is a safetycircuit activates if I play very loud for a long time (I'm guessing it has to be bassheavy too?) and the impedance goes too low.

I'm not going to play extremly loud, because of my very sensitive neighbour, but I would appreciate som helpful tips here. Is there a risk of damaging anything?

I first thought of selling them and help finance a musical instrument of some sort, but I still have to pay a profit tax on them which means I wouldn't make any profit at all. We have among the highest taxes in the world in Sweden.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As noted, the amplifier will try to protect itself before any permanent damage occurs. Depending on the sophistication of the protection circuit, it will either play just fine, or cut in and out often. In rare cases, the right combination of impedance mismatch and volume levels and other oddities could damage the amp.

Does that help?

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, it was what I thought. Don't want volume that cuts in and out all the time, so I'll see what if there would be any possible chance to exchange them at all. I havn't got them home yet anyway. It's worth asking.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote