Clear all

Microcube VS cube 15

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My current amp sucks so I want to get a Roland cube to replace it. I dont know if i should get the microcube or the 15watt cube. The microcube has more effects and amp models, but if the 15watt cube sounds better (i dono if it does) i would rather get it, especially since its cheaper. So can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each and which one is better?

(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Never having played through a Roland 15 it is hard to tell the pros and cons. You can go to the Roland site and get all the specs you need at: http://www.roland.com/products/en/Micro-CUBE/index.html

I do have a Microcube amp and it is a little lite on the bass end I feel, however the real reason I bought it was to be able to play it during the winter while camped in the Baja so it's ability to work with battery power was the real reason I bought it. I am very satisfied with the performance of this little guy and it has more than enough options to keep a knob tweaker occupied.

The microcube is 2watts through a 5" speaker while the cube 15 is obviously 15watts through an 8" speaker.They both have aux inputs and Headphone out jacks. If you are into clean tones with some volume I would'nt be suprised to find that the cube 15 was abetter choice as it seems that when I crank my microcube the clean goes away very quickly. Go to a store and either play them yourself (and use your own guitar or one similar) or have the sales guy demo one. Do this in a side by side test and select the on that suits your ear best
Robbie
edit: I should have added that this is not my main amp, I have 4 others that range from a 5 W Epiphone Valve Junior to a 90 W Fender deluxe solid state. My "go to amp right now is the 5 W Epiphone (you would have to look at the combo or have a speaker cab) but it is knob challenged and only has a volume control. That being said with the addition of a cheap behringer DR100 reverb pedal it has very nice tone and enough volume to shake the windows if needed. Many other types of pedals can be added to the chain but that opens up a new can of worms. The point is I guess that for the bucks the Microcube would not have been my choice for an only amp situation as I find that once I find a setting that pleases my ear that 90% of my practicing happens on that setting. All the others bells and whistles are extra.
EVJ here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480260

ReplyQuote
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah your right. The best thing i can do is try them out at the store.

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

roland cubes are great and especially good if youre into metal. i think the cube 15 i more worth the money.

ReplyQuote