Clear all

Mini - I mean MINI - Amplifier

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone... I am looking to perhaps pick up an inexpensive MINI amp for the office.

A buddy and I sometimes bring in our guitars to jam at lunch, and I'd rather bring an electric in... the problem is that his acoustic (a number of SWEET Lairrivees and Webers) guitars are much louder than my electric unplugged. I was thinking of picking up a small MINI amp - something very small that could eassily be carried in a work bag. I'd rather not lug in my practice amp (only a Cube 15, but still big enough to be too bulky to carry into work) for 30 minutes of music.

Any suggestions? I was looking at the Danelectro "bacon and eggs"... any good? Anything else better? I'd only like to spend $40 or less.

Thanks for your advice!!

http://www.music123.com/Danelectro-DJ16-Bacon---Eggs-Mini-Amp-And--Distortion-i120611.music

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@Anonymous)

I use the Roland MicroCube but it is bigger than the example you gave. It runs on batteries OR AC and is PLENTY loud. I took the strap pins off mine and replaced them with strap locks. That way I just hook my guitar strap to the amp for carrying then take the strap off and replace it onto my guitar for playing.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

This mini-HRD looks interesting:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mini-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480704

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Danelectro Honeytone?

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Honeytone's mostly forgotten in these discussions these days. I've got one, and it's a decent sounding little amp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, that little Smokey amp Rocks! :D

Here is a site on EBay that sells the Smokey with a video demo about half way down the page. That little amp is loud.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7388464683&category=10171

Edit: I liked that little amp so much I bought one. I'll write a little review if I get it before you make your purchase.

GAS strikes again.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

When I first read this thread I remembered I purchased a little Marshall Full Stack.... battery operated and yup with two speakers. I got it about two years ago, put a battery in it, plugged in and yeah it rocks.... loud too with a fresh battery.

Anyhoo I plugged into it again last night, its been sitting on my bookshelf for the better part of a year and I totally forgot I had it. If I was in a bind or we had a major black out.... I'd take it out on my porch and rock the night away under candle light till the power kicked back on. :)

I love these little amps some of them are really cool, while others are just dumb gimicks. :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sport The Trapped X

You mean when you go to see ZZ Top and see this big wall of Marshall amps, if you look behind them you'll see a mic in front of one of these little Smokies?? :D
Man, now I'm really glad I ordered this little amp. Thanks.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've been told it's not unusual to see a big wall of Marshall stacks on stage for looks, with the actual sound coming from a small amp miked backstage.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I just picked up the mini-HRD yesterday for my son. He'll pick up his mini-strat and play for a while unplugged. I ask him why he doesn't plug in and he just says he doesn't feel like it. I think my FM200r has too many knobs for him to deal with and even on .5, it's loud. The volume does not come up gradually. It just goes from barely audible, to slightly too loud. So I figured he can use the mini-HRD with a short cord and only have to deal with the ON button and the volume.

Anyway, the HRD sounds like a tiny amp, but it's cool. You can get some interesting tones out of it. It sounds kind of like ZZTop on La Grange (kind of).
I was going to get the Smokey, but I noticed you can't use headphones with it unless the headphones have a volume knob. Also, I can't find a dealer near me.

If you saw a picture of my son with his MINI-strat and MINI-hrd without anything in the picture for scale, he'd look like a full grown adult! :P

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Greybeard, this "pyp-bomb" looks crazy cool!

http://www.wholenote.com/store/product.asp?sku=EM.PB-1A

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's cool! :D

ReplyQuote