Clear all

More pics of Making Effects from Square One, Bits and Pieces

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

... or almost nothing, but a flat piece of sheared aluminum, and then adding thousands of components - patiently?

I came across these pics after the post on, "How do you get that sound?" So this has to do with guitars and stringed instruments, or anything that can trigger the given effect.

My son made this for himself to have many of his favorite effects in one box, instead of on a board full of spaghetti?

Again, I'm sorry that I have no pic of the completed project, but it is 4 rows now, times 12 modules, so 48 effects.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Nice pedalboard. :wink:

Did he dismantle existing single-effect pedals & install the guts in modules?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No, he got the blueprints from the computer, with the design for the face of each module, telling him where to drill the holes and file slots. He bought all the raw or blank circuitboards and the dedicated or precise and specific chips, then stocked up on capacitors, resistors and transistors by the thousands, and potentiomenters and knobs in hundreds. :roll:

Some of the parts cost mere cents when bought by the bag. Often the solder itself costs more than many of the parts. :shock:

He was spending too much on wire, getting ripped off on specific gages, I believe due to shipping, but never told me for a long time until he ran out and started to complain. He also used nearly all of my 1960's car wire which I've had for 40 years, plus my dismantled stereo and TV wires, so I pulled several hundreds of feet of it, never used from boxes my dad's basement, problem solved.

Some other boutique effects remain un-analyzed and can not be emulated exactly yet, so he maintains a sizeable pedal collection too, on the side. He likes his Moogerfoogers, stock and original; and I bought him an old Roland Tape Echo/Space Echo RE-301 awhile ago, just because he refused to pay in principle the price that they have reached. He always wanted one - I wanted him to have it, and I didn't think they were becoming more numerous or any cheaper. :lol:

http://www.student.foi.hr/~rlogozar/mbsn1/AnalogSynthsRolandTapeEchoes.html

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote