Clear all

My Cab is dead . . . am confused though

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have just finished building my 2x12 cab and loaded it with Celestion GT12-75 speakers.

Each is rated at 16 ohms, so I've put them in parallel giving me an 8ohm cab. Using a multimeter shows 6.9 ohms but I presume this is manufacturing tolerances (or lack of!). The speakers are 70's/80's vintage I believe.

I have connected up my Valve Junior with the 8 ohm output selected, but no sound whatsoever. Same with the 4 ohm setting. Reconnecting the 8" combo speaker results in no problems at all though, with sound as usual.

I cannot work out what's going on here - I've checked the continuity of everything, amp-cab cables, internal wiring etc., and when a voltage is applied to the speakers, they "pop" as they should.

Has anyone got any ideas what might be going on here? I've connected the +ve of the speaker to the "tip" of the input jack - maybe this is where I've gone wrong?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorted it. After checking continuity everywhere I finally found a break. I had connected the speaker wire to the "open contacts" on the socket, i.e., when the plug is inserted it opened the contacts! All sorted now and the cab is sounding sweet! :D

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Great!

Now you can worry about whether playing the amp with the speaker disconnected caused any burn-throughs in the output transformer's insulation, that will short out later...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

always with the great news Ric

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Great!

Now you can worry about whether playing the amp with the speaker disconnected caused any burn-throughs in the output transformer's insulation, that will short out later...
Yeah, call me paranoid, but when I build a cab, I plug a speaker cable into it and then test my resistance from the end of the speaker cable. It not only gives you the resistance but will cause a little noise in the speakers while making contact if they are hooked up correctly. Then I will try the amp with it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote