My DIY Pedalboard

Notifications
Clear all

My DIY Pedalboard

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have finally started playing with effects pedals to supplement my V-Amp 2. It's AMAZING the tones that can be achieved using the two together! I was looking for pedalboards on eBay and I found them to be VERY expensive since I don't gig nor plan to anytime soon. I searched Google and saw some really cool DIY pedalboards. One guy used an old suitcase and attached his DIY pedalboard to the inside lid of the suitcase. I may try that someday!

I only needed something to use here at home...something simple, inexpensive, sturdy, and not an eye-sore! The supplies I used cost less than $20 at Lowe's Hardware (I already had the daisy chain, AC adapter, and patch cables). My supply list included:

*Pre-finished shelf (I didn't feel like painting anything)
*cable ties
*powerstrip
*shelving brackets
*screws

To fasten the pedals to the board I just drilled some holes and fed the cable-ties through the holes and around the pedal. It's secure, easy to remove, and if I decided later to sell the pedals there isn't any velcro tape on them.

There are more photos on my Guitar Gallery site in the Photo Album under the DIY Projects. I also plan on adding some updates to the site soon.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

Pretty cool. I know of a few players who have made DIY pedalboards. It's great because you can make it for your specified needs.

Nice.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Mike
Nice set up.
What type of pedals are you using ?
Sofar I am only using the V-Amp 2 to get the sound I want, hasn´t yet explored all possibilities of the V-Amp.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Wes & Kalle...I am using all Danelectro Pedals so far but I am planning on getting the Behringer Amp Switcher (I forgot the actual name of it). I have the Fish & Chips EQ, FAB Chorus, FAB Distortion, and the Pastrami Overdrive. The Pastrami pedal really improves the Tube Amp model of the V-Amp. It sounds much more "natural" than before. The EQ is really nice since it not only shapes your tone but also has a level control on it. The chorus pedal is much better than the V-Amp one (IMHO). I got the distortion to make it easier to go from clean to dirty. As you might already know, when switching amp models in the V-Amp it has a slight delay. This way the change is immediate.

I want to get a Compression/Sustainer pedal as well as the Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive/Distortion pedal. Wes has praised the Daddy-O pedal in another thread so I think it's worth checking out.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's a great idea Mike. I think I'll try your idea of attaching the pedals the way you do, as the velcro I've been using doesn't always hold.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

That's a great idea Mike. I think I'll try your idea of attaching the pedals the way you do, as the velcro I've been using doesn't always hold.

Dan

Yea it's very clean and sturdy. I got the idea from someone else's DIY pedalboard on another forum...just make sure your cable ties are long enough. I got the 8 inch ones and they were too short for the FAB pedals so I had to hook two ties together. Get the 11 inch cable ties...that should be long enough.

If you need to change your pedals or reposition them just cut the ties and drill new holes if need be.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I know you guys are going to laugh at this one but I had to build a LARGER pedalboard! Yea I know...you can say it GAS!! Unfortunately Lowes didn't have a black shelf the size I wanted so I went with the wood grain finish. I might cover it with black fabric someday. I also drilled holes for the powerjacks to come from the back to the front to keep the wires cleaner than before. I may do the same for the patch cables as well. I also added my amp and V-amp pedals to the board. I have 3 pedals coming next week (delay, Fab Tone Distortion, and flanger (all Danelectro). The only pedal I think I need for now is a wah...and I don't know where that one will go! Kay Sirah Sirah I guess!

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yo Mike, something that would work great for these home-built boards is something called King Starboard material.

We use it on boats to build dashboards, bait boxes, just about anything.

It is like a high density plastic, available in different thicknesses and colors (yes they have black) and it drills and cuts just like wood. Used as a subsitute for wood because it will never rot or need attention, lasts forever.

It is expensive but you can find sellers on Ebay who sell smaller pieces they have left over from full sized boards. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yo Mike, something that would work great for these home-built boards is something called King Starboard material.

It is like a high density plastic, available in different thicknesses and colors (yes they have black) and it drills and cuts just like wood. Used as a subsitute for wood because it will never rot or need attention, lasts forever.

It is expensive but you can find sellers on Ebay who sell smaller pieces they have left over from full sized boards. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote