Clear all

My new amp bragging/quetion thread

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just got meself an old 1960s Ross Kustom 200 watt head. Its the 200watt version of this head

Its solid state :( but it sounds great clean :). Im not sure how its gonna be overdriven (and its not too easy to find out at 200 watts through a big cab... If anyone has used this amp hows it sound OD?

"This is a public service announcement....with guitars!"

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Solid state amps don't lend themselves to power stage overdrive like tube amps do. In fact, that would usually fry the power transistors if you could. You've got to get your overdrive sounds from the "preamp" stages and from any effects you use in front of it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

im not sure how exactly to overdrive the preamp (bear with me im new with amp stuff!) but i basically cranked this to 12 oclock with nobody home and it sounded pretty awesome to me.. had that crunchy tone just like my ad30 but less muffled.

the problem with it is i dont get that tone until the volume is Extremely high and im far too dim-witted to make an attenuator :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The crunchy tone means you are probably overdriving one of the early or -- more likely -- intermediate stages, and maybe not the output. And that's all fine if you dig that tone. If you want to do this at a lower volume levels, get yourself an overdrive (booster) pedal to increase your guitar's level into your amp's input stage to achieve the overdrive there. A Tube Screamer or clone would be appropriate. Then you should be able to turn down the amp's gain and/or master and still be crunchy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I like that old advertisement "the new solid state energizer" :D

Nothing wrong with solid state amps, they do tend to have a harder, more brittle overdrive or distortion than tube amps, but some players prefer this (Metal).

If you like a Blues tones, get a good "overdrive pedal". I would recommend the Behringer TO800, gets awesome tone.

Behringer TO800

If you are into Metal tones, get a good "distortion" pedal. Not sure what to recommend here, but I'm sure others will have recommendations. This is very popular though:

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff

or

Boss Metal Zone

Congrats on the vintage amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks, wes you reccomended the TO800 to me a few weeks ago and im still lookin to buy one when i get the money, i just got payed $15 for designing a webpage and am expecting 30 more, so ill be sure to pick that up.

ReplyQuote