Clear all

Power Amps?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In the spring, I want to build a guitar cab, modeled after the Fender Princeton 112 Plus. I know the measurements and the speaker and all of that kind of information but I need some help.

I want to use this cab with my Behringer V-Amp ,but I know I will need a power-amp. I don't know anything about power amps though, and don't know what to look for and what to stay away from.

Will this work http://www.crateamps.com/html/series.cfm?sid=15 , I've seen these around and have heard good things.

Any help?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That link wouldn't work for me, but I'm guessing you were looking at this Crate amp:

Crate CPB150

If so, this amp will work fine. It is solid state with plenty of power so you will get plenty of volume without breakup. This is important if you want to use the tones of the V-amp without coloring the sound.

If you are into tube tone, you can't lose with the Epiphone Valve Jr head.

Epiphone Valve Jr head

This is a great amp, I own one and love it. At 5 watts it is just giggable. The amp will naturally begin to breakup around 11 o'clock, that's what tube guitar amps are supposed to do. This will just keep up with a loud drummer. However I have found if you sock up the preamp (you can do this with the V-Amp), you can get a lot more clean headroom out of it. But this may not be what you want, because the amp will start to breakup at volume which could muddy any clean tones (or overdrives and distortions) on the V-Amp.

So you have to decide where you want your distortion to come from, the pedal or your amp. Most people that use distortion or overdrive pedals with a tube amp run the pedal into the clean channel only. So to gig you want an amp with plenty of clean headroom (won't breakup at high volumes).

There are all sorts of things you can do. You can even get a PA amp. This will get you tons of clean power. Here is one in the same price range:

Nady XA300

This is a solid state amp, really not much different than the Crate amp. It will give you plenty of clean volume. It will give you 120 watts at 8 ohms per side, 150 watts at 4 ohms per side, or 300 watts at 8 ohms bridged. So you just have to match it up with your cabs impedence.

All you can do is read the reviews on amps. You want an amp that has plenty of power without distortion. You want an amp that doesn't overheat easily and is quality made.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote