Clear all

My new used amp

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

My vox VR-15 practice amp died, I might be able to fix it but I needed a new amp. I have a SS peavey bandit that is good but just doesn't cut the tone I was looking for. I headed it to GC today to maybe buy a AD-15 and they had this little used tube amp for sale.

Yup, it's a 120w all tube Peavey Ranger 212. I nabbed this beauty for $260.00 out the door. Have to wait till tomorrow till it clears the cops pawn shop search for stolen items. Dear lord this thing is going to have the neighbors ready to hang me.Two drawbacks to the amp, 1, no headphone out and two, looks like I need to get a attenuator in there somehow.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yowza!
looks almost new.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

wow. two 12's....we'll all be able to hear you.
nice find.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice deal! When I traded my Crate GLX65 in on my Peavey Classic 30 they needed to photocopy my licence and a bunch of crap. It's like, dude, I got the origional reciept! :lol: Somebody got a nice deal on that too by the way. They couldn't give me crap for it cause they "Couldn't find it online" and "Didn't know what it was worth" ....... just saw it in Musicians Friend on clearance for like $350 ... (thats what I paid) and they wanted to give me $50 for it. I managed to get $75 out of them, I should have just kept it but I got too much crap now and no space to keep it. The guy did try to talk me into selling it myself on EBay but I just wanted it gone. In all fairness I couldn't find it online anywhere then either .. but now they are selling them again. :| I had hoped to get $175 for it. Anyhow, congrats on your purchase! Maybe next time I'll be on the winning end of one of those as well.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

LOL guys, I went to get it and the guy goes and brings it out punches it up in the computer. Well who ever brought it in screwed up the date and so they said it wouldn't be 30 days till tomorrow and that they were closed for the holiday. I was a little ticked and said ok.

I was talking to my bud and he just looked at me when I told him what I bought like I was some raving lunatic. Needless to say he said go find something smaller. So I went back and told the dude it was just too much amp. I ended up with a Peavey Valve King 112 for $355.00 out the door.

Gonna take a while to find my tone with it, but it is great sounding. It doesn't come with a footswitch which really surprised me because my bandit came with everything. The manual has one part # for the switch and there online store has another. Guess I will need to call them for the correct part #.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

LOL guys, I went to get it and the guy goes and brings it out punches it up in the computer. Well who ever brought it in screwed up the date and so they said it wouldn't be 30 days till tomorrow and that they were closed for the holiday. I was a little ticked and said ok.

The GC in Madison did the same thing to me alittle over a year ago when I was buying a used guitar. 80 mile round trip, and I had to come back yet another day because "they screwed up the date". :evil:

Anyways, congrats on the new amp.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wow, this amp is greeeeaaat. It even made my Zoom 1010 sound good. I almost never use pedals, I prefer the pure sound of an overdriven tube amp over most everything. But man, to make that crappy pedal sound good is saying a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hope your wacky experiences are gone now. I read about your Jackson.

when I was searching for my tone I would keep a note book handy. I would write down settings on the amp and the pedal (s) I was using. before, when I didn't note settings I would lose my place and miss out; when I got something good I could not remember.
now that I jot notes I am set. eventually, you will not have to.

now that I have a base line setting; where I think I sound good and am comfortable. I can add, subtract, experiment from there and remember what I did to achieve what sound.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

hope your wacky experiences are gone now. I read about your Jackson.

when I was searching for my tone I would keep a note book handy. I would write down settings on the amp and the pedal (s) I was using. before, when I didn't note settings I would lose my place and miss out; when I got something good I could not remember.
now that I jot notes I am set. eventually, you will not have to.

now that I have a base line setting; where I think I sound good and am comfortable. I can add, subtract, experiment from there and remember what I did to achieve what sound.

Cool idea, thanks.

I don't think I've ever played this much clean channel stuff. Man this thing is sweet.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Those amps do have some nice tone. I saw a lead guitarist at local battle of the bands playing the half stack version of that. Seemed to get some nice lead tones, but the it didn't handle the chuga chuga like the marshall guys.

What genres are you into, and maybe can we have a sound clip sid?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Those amps do have some nice tone. I saw a lead guitarist at local battle of the bands playing the half stack version of that. Seemed to get some nice lead tones, but the it didn't handle the chuga chuga like the marshall guys.

What genres are you into, and maybe can we have a sound clip sid?
I practice classic rock :lol: Yup all the years I've been playing on and off, I still stink.

I may toss a sound clip up later. Hows about the intro and first solo to Rush's "Working man"? No backing tracks.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

SCS

Congrats on the new amp. The Valveking gets great reviews and is going to be a famous amp. They use the 6L6 tubes like most Fender amps, so you are not gonna get a Marshall tone from it. You need an amp with EL84s (small low-powered amp) or especially EL34s to really nail that Marshall tone. And most Marshalls use Celestion speakers in a closed back cab, that is much of the Marshall tone as well.

But I've listened to clips of the ValveKing, and it's a good sounding very versatile amp.

If you love the Marshall tone, try the Marshall Guv'nor Plus II pedal through the clean channel. I use this through my Fender amps and it is amazing. You can really get Marshall tone. I would highly recommend this pedal to anyone who loves classic Marshall tone but can't spend a fortune for a real Marshall. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

SCS

Congrats on the new amp. The Valveking gets great reviews and is going to be a famous amp. They use the 6L6 tubes like most Fender amps, so you are not gonna get a Marshall tone from it. You need an amp with EL84s (small low-powered amp) or especially EL34s to really nail that Marshall tone. And most Marshalls use Celestion speakers in a closed back cab, that is much of the Marshall tone as well.

But I've listened to clips of the ValveKing, and it's a good sounding very versatile amp.

If you love the Marshall tone, try the Marshall Guv'nor Plus II pedal through the clean channel. I use this through my Fender amps and it is amazing. You can really get Marshall tone. I would highly recommend this pedal to anyone who loves classic Marshall tone but can't spend a fortune for a real Marshall. :D
Thanks Wes. I'm beginning to play almost exclusivly though the clean channel now. Looks like some pedals may be in order. I was looking at the Ibanez tube screemers too.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Wes, I was at GC and they had the Marshall Detonator pedal on sale for $42.00, It had there classic od tone in it so I bought it. Sounds pretty good. Thanks for the tip.

ReplyQuote