Clear all

Travel Amp

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm visiting my daughter in Florida .... but I need to play guitar. In the past I have brought acoustic guitars and played electric unplugged. I decided I want a small amp to travel with. I ordered this. What does everyone think? Yeah, I shold have asked before ordering ... :lol:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Edition-Blu-15-15W-1x8-Combo?sku=480436

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's not THAT small. When I want to pack really compactly, I take a lap steel and a Honeytone.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Wow, for $50 bucks I don't think you can go wrong. Looks like it's gotten some good reviews too.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I got me one of those KORG/Pandora's. Its the size of a pack of smokes.

It is a modeller, Mfx thing but with a pair of headphones it doesn't sound bad at all.

It also has a drum loop and accompanying bass, with key change capability.

Really I was so impressed with this thing I had to buy it. Its great for travelling too.

Bring your ipod, your pandora, your axe and your set....plus you won't disturb anyone by mistake.

When I travel, at least on business, Space is at a premium, with all the other stuff I take with me. So this was an excellent solution for me.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPX4D

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, it's only 12" wide and 11" high, so small enough. The headphone amp idea crossed my mind but my son inlaw likes to hear me play. 8) I'll let you know how it sounds when it gets here.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Looks good TR - but it's not really THAT small is it :wink:

I got this idea today

I've got this DAB radio - quite similar to the tivoli IPAL http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=161&cat=266&page=1

The radio part doesn't work but it has got a line in connector, and it has a remarkably good sound for the size. I tried plugging in a guitar - sound but not very much - too low a signal from the guitar obviously

Then I got the idea of plugging in a pedal with a level pot on too - kinda like a pre-amp.

What can I say - it works pretty good :-) More than enough volume for small settings I'd say - at least like an unplugged accoustic guitar - and much better distortion :twisted: And given the size... - I think it almost fit in my guitar case. And it runs on batteries too. Perfect for camp fires, ad-hoc jams or whatever.

One thing that bothers me is whether I risk frying the line input when I turn up the gain on the pedal - opinions?

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Probably not, it being a line input, and the pedal's got an output level suitable for a guitar amp that expects a lower voltage signal than line level.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK, I got the amp. It's not THAT small. :lol: It was supposed to be 12" X 11". It is actually 18" X 16". I will bring it anyways. The sound? awsome! Very tube like. It has a spring reverb, 2 chanels and a master volume. The clean chanel gets dirty with the volume past 12 oclock! The electrical cord plugs into the amp! It has a Celestion speaker! $50!!!!! Was supposed to be $150 but on clearance for some reason. I'm happy. But .... it's not THAT small. :?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OK, I got the amp. It's not THAT small. :lol: It was supposed to be 12" X 11". It is actually 18" X 16"... But .... it's not THAT small. :?
Inflation hits amps.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If I had noticed this thread earlier, I would have suggested a Pignose or a Smokey
Both battery operated (for extra portability), both are known to sound good.(though quite different from each other) .

As a bonus, both get good reviews as a harmonica amp!

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I had thought of those, but didn't want to fork out the bucks for the Pignose and questioned the sound quality of the Smokey. Turns out, even though it is a little bigger, I got me one heck of an amp for $50. Keep in mind, these things were selling for $150 origionally and thats not MSRP but actual price. It's a lot of amp for $50. Spring reverb, chanel switching and 3 band EQ with a master volume (in addition to the master on the dirty chanel) so the clean chanel can be made dirty in a bluesy way, which is to say that when the clean chanel volume goes past 12 oclock it starts to get gritty. Detachable mains, sturdy metal togle on/off switch. I have been jamming with this since I got it and except for the obvious volume difference, I'm not losing much from not using my Peavey Classic 30 tube amp! Nope, don't regret this purchase in the least.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That looks like a very nice amp, and if you like it, who cares what anybody else thinks? :D

Hughes & Kettner has always made good amps that sound very tube like for a solid state.

I have one of the Smokeys, it the exact same size as a pack of cigarettes. Amazingly, it has metal input and output jacks and will even power a 4 X 12 cab. And it gets loud. But the built-in speaker sounds just like it should, a 2" plastic speaker. Kinda sounds like a bunch of bees by itself, but if you cover it with a blanket or pillow it sounds pretty good. Through a large speaker it sounds very good, but you can't get clean tones at all.

I think you did good. 18 lbs. is great and you don't want too small a speaker, just doesn't have any punch IMHO.

Have fun with your new amp!

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yep, the speaker size was a big factor to me. Have to pick a happy medium and this thing does have a very slim cabinet, only 7" wide. The back is closed in and ported I believe to bring out the low end and it works. :D

ReplyQuote