16 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yeah. TL. It was:

Amp-Pwr out to GT-6 Input
GT6-Out (L-Mono) to Amp pwr in
Guitar to normal plugin on amp.

Seems that the Pwr IN and Pwr Out are the same thing as Efx in and Efx Out ports on other amps.

He was saying that it bypasses something in the amp. Maybe the pre-amp? Regardless, the whole overwhelming power thing is gone.

so, if i'm understanding this...
pwr out is like the line from a seperate head that goes to the cab, only yours is a combo?
and you are hooking up the multi between the head(pwr) and the speaker in essense?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Yeah. TL. It was:

Seems that the Pwr IN and Pwr Out are the same thing as Efx in and Efx Out ports on other amps.

He was saying that it bypasses something in the amp. Maybe the pre-amp? Regardless, the whole overwhelming power thing is gone.

I have the Fender FM212R and I use a Digitech RP80 with it. The Amp-Pwr-out and Amp-Pwr-in is meant to be used as an effects loop. So it does bypass the amp in your combo.

BUT!!! You are still plugging your guitar into the amp!!! Try it like this:

Guitar into GT6 Input
GT6 out (L-Mono) to Amp-Pwr In.

You should see a BIG difference.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Yeah. TL. It was:

I have the Fender FM212R and I use a Digitech RP80 with it. The Amp-Pwr-out and Amp-Pwr-in is meant to be used as an effects loop. So it does bypass the amp in your combo.

Guitar into GT6 Input

Also, another way that I use my Digitech RP80. This actually sounds better.

Guitar into RP80 -> RP80 into Mixer -> Mixer into my computer's soundcard -> Soundcard speaker out into Aux on Stereo.

My Stereo is a 600W Pioneer with 100W speakers and a 150W powered subwoofer. This way, it's easy to play along with my MP3's on my computer. An added advantage is that I plug my headphones into the stereo and it silences everything and I can hear the entire mix in my headphones. Great for those after 10:00PM jam sessions with Angus Young. :D

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm not gonna answer these one by one, I'm just gonna voice an opinion then describe my preferred setup.

The best modelers out there (IMHO!) are the Vox modeling amps and the Vox Tonelab processors. I think this is because part of their modeling chain is a micro-watt 12AX7 tube amp. I have to wait for the tube in my Tonelab SE (multi-effects) and my VR15(now discontinued hybrid amp) to warm up before I can use them.

That being said, I have to confess that the Tonelab spends most of it's time in the case. I found that it has SO many effects and presets that I spent most of my practice time playing with it and all the cool sounds it made instead of playing my guitar. In live use I found that 80% of the time I used no effects and no amp modeling at all ( I like the sound of my amps, that's why I bought them ).

When I did use effects, the ones I used were: compression, short delays, and modulation (phase, chorus, flange). So I simplified my setup, and got a pedalboard and three stompboxes.

So now my usual setups are:

Peavey Duel 212 or Fender Hot Rod deluxe (amps with an effects loop):
Guitar -> Boss CS-3 (compressor) -> amp input
FX send -> Marshall Regenerator (modulation multifx) -> Ibanez AD-9 (analog delay) -> FX return

Vox VR15 or Vox Pathfinder 15 (no effects loop):
Guitar -> Boss CS-3 (compressor) ->Marshall Regenerator (modulation multifx) -> Ibanez AD-9 (analog delay) -> amp input

Hope this helps . . .

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

pwr out is like the line from a seperate head that goes to the cab, only yours is a combo?
and you are hooking up the multi between the head(pwr) and the speaker in essense?

No .. I think pwr out is the "pre-amp" out; pwr-in goes to the power amp. Probably there would not be much of the Gt-6 left standing if the output of the power amp (that should go into the speakers) goes into the GT-6.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

No .. I think pwr out is the "pre-amp" out; pwr-in goes to the power amp. Probably there would not be much of the Gt-6 left standing if the output of the power amp (that should go into the speakers) goes into the GT-6.

thanks, that makes sense

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you are running your guitar into the instrument input, then coming out of Pwr Out to your Boss, then out of the Boss back to Pwr In, you are not bypassing the preamp stage of your amp at all. Turn your tone controls on the amp, if they work you are not bypassing the preamp section.

If you want to bypass the preamp section and control everything with the Boss just go:

Guitar-----> input on Boss pedal----->output of Boss pedal-------Pwr In on Amp.

This will give complete control to the Boss pedal (except for your guitar's volume and tone controls). But your amp's tone controls will do nothing.

Running a multi-efx like the Boss GT6 into a solid state amp set to a clean tone is really no different than running it straight into a PA. You can get great tones like this. Maybe not as great as a good tube amp, but so close most folks couldn't tell the difference.

It's all what you are after. Are you after one great tone, or are you after a variety of tones? If you want one great tone, get a good tube amp and a couple of really good pedals. If you are after variety, you've already got the setup with the GT6 and a good solid state amp.

Myself, I am spoiled on tube amps. I've owned plenty of solid state amps, they never really deliver that true tube tone. Tube amps have a warmth, fullness, and smooth overdrive solid state amps can't quite deliver. I've owned multi-efx too, they are kinda like toys, you are always going through all the multiple presets. Even when I use these, I always find just 3 or 4 presets that I like. The rest are just kinda wasted, or maybe I play around with them once in awhile. But they can't compare to a great tube tone.

But that's just me, everybody has their own idea of great tone. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vink has to be correct, that is very misleading. They should have labeled that Preamp Out, or Effects Loop Out/Send. Putting the word "power" on there could lead one to think that is a highly amplified Speaker Out.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Guitar into GT6 Input

I tried it that way and didn't like it at all. It was better than what the original way I had it, but still not even worth using it. I think I nailed it with this config.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If you are running your guitar into the instrument input, then coming out of Pwr Out to your Boss, then out of the Boss back to Pwr In, you are not bypassing the preamp stage of your amp at all. Turn your tone controls on the amp, if they work you are not bypassing the preamp section.

If you want to bypass the preamp section and control everything with the Boss just go:

Guitar-----> input on Boss pedal----->output of Boss pedal-------Pwr In on Amp.

This will give complete control to the Boss pedal (except for your guitar's volume and tone controls). But your amp's tone controls will do nothing.

Running a multi-efx like the Boss GT6 into a solid state amp set to a clean tone is really no different than running it straight into a PA. You can get great tones like this. Maybe not as great as a good tube amp, but so close most folks couldn't tell the difference.

It's all what you are after. Are you after one great tone, or are you after a variety of tones? If you want one great tone, get a good tube amp and a couple of really good pedals. If you are after variety, you've already got the setup with the GT6 and a good solid state amp.

Myself, I am spoiled on tube amps. I've owned plenty of solid state amps, they never really deliver that true tube tone. Tube amps have a warmth, fullness, and smooth overdrive solid state amps can't quite deliver. I've owned multi-efx too, they are kinda like toys, you are always going through all the multiple presets. Even when I use these, I always find just 3 or 4 presets that I like. The rest are just kinda wasted, or maybe I play around with them once in awhile. But they can't compare to a great tube tone.

But that's just me, everybody has their own idea of great tone. :D
I really like tube-tone. It will happen some day. I was trying to avoid going the pedal route, but what the heck. Already makes my solid-state sound better. Can't wait to plop a tube amp behind them. Just now that I have the flexibility to expand my guitar playing skills without the amp sounding like it's broke, I'm good to go for a while. Hell, having good tube tone like that with my skill is like using an ocean to extinguish a camp fire. :lol:

As far as the current GT-6 setup goes, I have no clue what it's doing or bypassing. I did that set-up like you and riff-raff mentioned. Also did the original way I had it of guitar to GT-6 to the amp's guitar plugin. Just did a 3 way comparison. Hands down, the current set-up is better. And yes, the amp's tone controls work. Who knows. Doesn't sound like muffled, over-powered crap anymore.

OK, so it was this bad. You'd set it up either way (until the newest method), turn things on and hit just one chord and say, "that's awful!!". Not sure why I kept it come to think about it, but I did get a good price on it 'cause of a going out of business sale and it was an older model. (GT-8 was out by then)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

Couldn't quite follow you there. What configuration are you using that you like best?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Roy

Couldn't quite follow you there. What configuration are you using that you like best?

hehehe Sorry about that. :oops:

This one.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Roy

hehehe Sorry about that. :oops:

This one.

I have to say that I'm quite surprised. I just did an a/b comparison on my FM212R and I'll tell you, when I do it like you said, it is muddy. The only thing I can think of is if you have your amp/cab modeling turned off on your Gt6.
When I plug my guitar into the RP80 and then into the Pwr-In, it is much better.

If you have your Gt-6 setup to model an amp, say a Fender Blackface for example, and you plug your guitar into your amp, and use the effects loop to plug in the GT-6, its like plugging a Fender Blackface into a Fender FM212.

However, by plugging the guitar into the GT-6 and then into the Pwr-in, it's like plugging the Fender Blackface into a Fender FM 212R CAB ONLY!!! This is why I disable the CAB emulation on my RP80. This way it bypasses the FM212R amp.

Sorry if this is confusing.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Check out this thread from over a year ago:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25351&highlight=212r

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I know what Riff Raff is saying. If I run a multi-efx into my amps and use an amp or cab model it just sounds terrible. I always turned those off. But I use tube amps.

But going straight into a solid state amp set very clean it should work ok. This is nearly the same as running into a mixer into the PA as many do today. The effects loop might be a little better, not exactly sure why if the amp is set clean.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, if you are getting tones that please you then you are doin' alright. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3