Notifications
Clear all

My Tone Quest

45 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Anyway, doesn't really matter, if you are getting tones that please you then you are doin' alright. :D

Agreed! :D

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I just checked this manual: http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/manuals_elec/guitarpdf/FM_212R.pdf

According to that, the jacks are labeled pre-out and pwr-in, which makes sense ..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Check out this thread from over a year ago:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25351&highlight=212r

Interesting. We have the opposite thing going on here.

However, a statement you made earlier in that thread is just as interesting. You said yours sounded good with headphones. I just tried mine with headphones. Sounds like crap. I wonder. Maybe if I go and reset everything to factory settings like it said you're able to in the manual. This WAS a glass-case display unit. Maybe someone hosed it before I got it?

Stay tuned.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Um, so can someone get kicked out of the GN forums for over-looking a potentially obvious solution or otherwise being a moron? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'll bet Nick could designate someone as "GuitarNoise Village Idiot" or some such if he so desired. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Um, so can someone get kicked out of the GN forums for over-looking a potentially obvious solution or otherwise being a moron? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Does that mean that the reset worked?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Does that mean that the reset worked?

Yup. It worked. Well in fact. I had no idea I had a nice multi-effects board. Still, I learned a ton during this. Spent some green I didn't want to spend, but I learned a ton.

Next Up. Completion of the analog route. EQ, a delay, that Marshall Regenerator MoonRider was walking about, etc. This could end up loads of fun. :D

Thanks everyone!!!!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great thread Roy. :)

The search for tone has driven me nuts at times... (well I gotta have some excuse for my precarious mental state... :roll: )

A couple of years ago I bought Vox AD30VT amp which has ten or so amps modelled on it, plus all manner of nifty built in knobs and effects. It looked ideal, but I quickly discovered that I could spend hours fiddling with it and make a very wide range of interesting noises, but none seemed to have a 'built in talent' switch. Nothing seemed to quite suit my clumsy beginner's chord strumming, although many sounded pretty OK for lead. So I put it away pending the possible development of some skills... :wink:

Recently I dragged it out again and got much better results, but - somewhat surprisingly - the settings nearly all seemed to be "Close, But No Cigar".

Then a friend offered me an unrefusable half price deal on a new Johnson Blueline amp, so I caved in and bought it. It's nothing flash and has nowhere near the range of options that the Vox has. Basically it has Gain, Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, and Reverb and its 'dirty' channel is more like 'grubby' than outright dirty... but it makes a sound that I like and it seems to work very well with my Epiphone SG400 - the current favourite.

So my plan now is to set the knobs once, and then try and remain satisfied with the amp tone for a while and work hard on my 'Finger Tone' instead. In other words, work on developing my own technique to bring out the best in that amp/guitar/pickup combination instead of keep trying to find some sort of 'ready made' tone solution in the gear.

My guess is that this is some kind of endless 'push me/pull you' cycle that guitar players go through whereby you eventually get both your gear and your fingers at least somewhere near the place you want to be.... But I know that it's going to be a few more years (or lifetimes..) before I start sounding all that much like Mark Knopfler or BB King... :wink: In the meantime it will be interesting to see how long I last before I crack and go out and buy a few pedals.... :roll:

Best of luck with the rejuvenated rig.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh, by the way ...... I am currently running a SansAmp TriOD into a Epi Valve Junior Head and matching cab and it is a tone that no other amp I own or have owned can touch. My tone quest is over for the time being.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

My tone quest is pretty much over with what I am currently doing. Several pedals, several EVJH's, some splitting, a bass amp. Good to go. I like it. I am trying to use the same set-up with different guitars. Therefore, I am using the different guitars as the variable in the tone process. I feel this will really work well in my recording process. How well it translates to live is different. That might make it necessary to have more guitarists than one really needs, not economical.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As long as it isn't sounding rotten like it was. I guess this level of tone satisfaction was what I was after for now. If you were to ask me what my ultimate goal was, I'd give you different answers every day. It certainly isn't a question with a binary answer for me right now.

One thing motorcycle riding has taught me. The ride to the destination is often more rewarding than the destination itself.

So, back to the GT-6. After contemplating what setting might have been messed up, I've determined it was something to do with the output power. I never could get it above about 1 o'clock without it sounding like it was over-powering the amp. After the reset, I've got it on about 7 o'clock. More of the pure sounds and less of the muffled ones are getting through now.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

One thing motorcycle riding has taught me. The ride to the destination is often more rewarding than the destination itself.

True! I usually say: "You sing a song for singing not for finishing it". I mean you are enjoying while you are singing not when you have finished the song. When I was in the railroads models world I use to say it too: you get more fun while you are making your scenery and selecting buildings and trees than moving the trains.

Yesterday I found this interesting point of view. It is entitled "Hunting 'THE' Tone". It does not include the solution, really it does not include new things. Probably it adds uncertainty, at least in my case, becasue the solid-state and synth sounds are also considered.

http://www.analogman.com/kraft2.htm

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

True! I usually say: "You sing a song for singing not for finishing it". I mean you are enjoying while you are singing not when you have finished the song. When I was in the railroads models world I use to say it too: you get more fun while you are making your scenery and selecting buildings and trees than moving the trains.

Yesterday I found this interesting point of view. It is entitled "Hunting 'THE' Tone". It does not include the solution, really it does not include new things. Probably it adds uncertainty, at least in my case, becasue the solid-state and synth sounds are also considered.

ThankX for the "Hunting 'THE' Tone" post Nuno :D
I enjoyed that story much.

For me, as I've said in other posts, good tone lies in simplicity.
I hate to beat a cat that's barely alive....
Though I say, like the discussion we had on singing (I think it was one of Chris C's threads), as far as tone goes....
You need to find your own voice.

My original tone quest when I started playing the Guitar was to sound like Paul Kossoff from Free or Joe Walsh in
The James Gang.
I never did end up with a Marshall tube amp or a Les Paul (or even a guitar w HB's for that matter).

My 'Tonal Voice' lies with my vintage Strat.
Not a versatile guitar by any means.
Has a distinct tone though.
My 88 Strat is nice.... Doesn't come close to the old one though and I don't think it has a very individual tone either.
Good tone - just not a standout if you know what I mean.

So, I never did end up with the tone I was originally after.
Sometime fate steps in though.
You just gotta be open to it :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, everybody chases tone. And I think most people go through lots of different gear before they find the tones they love. I've tried all sorts of pedals, amps, tubes, speakers, on and on and on.

I can't handle dozens of tones. I am just a simple guy. My favorite tones were always those Les Paul or SG guitars through a Marshall amp. My favorite band in the 70's was Bad Company, I always loved those long sustained chords they played. And finally, after much trial and error I have got that type of tone down pretty good. You just have to keep trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ryRksbQvU

Oh yeah, that's the kind of guitar tone I love best. :twisted:

But I like other tones too, I like a good Fender clean with lots of reverb, Surf Music.

Sometimes it takes you months to tweak a multi-efx like the GT6. Just write down the original settings, and when you run across a great tone you like, write that down too. I have found great tones once in awhile, failed to write them down and lost them forever. So write them down! :D

Have fun chasing this mysterious tone.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

+1 to that. The fun's in the doing, not some prize at the end. :)

19th century British author Robert Louis Stevenson once said:

"To travel hopeful is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour." 8)

Great article. Thanks for posting the link. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3