12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Here's the scenario-

I've been playing (this time) for a bit under a year; never was very good but played a lot years ago as a teen. Classic rock bordering on HEAVY classic rock (deep purple, zeppelin, doors kinda thing) is probably my best thing, but I love all styles.

Since I only play at home, and nobody else wants to hear me anyway, I have an extremely crap 10 watt chinese made solid state practice thing that is almost, but not quite, an amp.

A good friend of mine is a pro, performs a lot locally, and asked me if I'd like to come along for a few gigs- mostly classic rock, while whoever usually plays rhythm for them is out of town. WOW would I like to.

But I don't think 10 watts is gonna do it, do you?

THing is, I know little about guitars, but less about amps.

What do I need? I've been looking at a Roland 30 watt thing, but am not sure-

What do you all think?

Best,
Ande

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Check out Crate amps . There are several models in the same price range as the Roland and I have been extremely happy with the one I own (5 years now) . Two channels -footswitchable , with built-in effects .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Have you got any idea what kind of amps your up against, and does his band have a drummer? The Roland 30 very well may not do it, but hard to tell without knowing what you need to be heard with.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

For the Occasional Performance I'd pick up a Fender Blues Jr at least. There may be times you have to mic this into the board and it would work well for home volumes use as well.

Also look for a Hot Rod Deluxe. These have plenty of power in a gig situation but they might be overkill for just home use.

I see alot of guys using these amps locally and they're more than adequate and they sound great too. :)

You can usually find some good "Used" buys on Craigs List.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

VEry small bars, and the occasional outside space.

Likely to be packed, though- because the drummer is from a big family, has a lot of friends.

I don't know all the models names, but the other guitarist has a fender, looks, um, medium sized. Drum is unamplified, but loud. They usually use a small portable PA for the vocals and keyboards, but the guitars and bass (PEavey something, 50 watts) use their own amps. We're talking really low rent.

THanks,

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My first reaction is that the Roland 30 may not cut it. I've got two solid state 30s. One Fender and one Roland (Cube 30). There are a couple of settings on the Cube that would go well with the music you indicated though. The problem is with the Fender Blues Junior might be that you may need (or want?) to get a couple of pedals to go along with it. Remember too, that the Blues Junior is a tube amp. It may be smaller on the wattage, but actually louder than a Solid State 30.

Maybe the only reason I'm hesitant is that a friend of mine is in a band and this summer, the singers son played in on a couple of songs. He had a VOX 30 that came no where close to breaking through the rest of the band's volume....and it was not an earth shattering volumed gig either.

There were a couple of threads last year about right sizing an amp in this section. Might dig back and have a look.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Some links:

Hot Rod Delux
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480510

Blues Jr.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480512

Also look at the Peavey Classic series
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

There is also the Epi Blues Custom
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Blues-Custom-30-Watt-2x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480288

Don't forget the used market, there are some great deals out there on these amps.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

You might also consider a Carvin Vintage Series combo like the Nomad 1-12 50 watt or Belair 2-12 50 watt. The Nomad is currently on sale for $489.99. The Belair sells for $699.99. Both amps sound really great, and have many features not found on more expensive amps. They have 2 channels, clean and overdrive, and they both sound very good. They also have a spring reverb and an FX loop. These amps have great "bang-for-the-buck" value, without many of the cost-cutting corners being cut that you find in other lower-cost amps.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/group.php?cid=2

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lot of helpful people on this board- many thanks, guys.

I'm still looking- absolutely drooling over some of the links, but shipping to where I am is a little complicated. So will be checking out the second hand stores this weekend. If I don't find what I'm looking for, a friend who'll I be playing with has graciously offered me the use of his Marshall until I do (No idea what model, really old, but really rocks- I've played through it before, and for small gigs, it's gonna need to be turned way down.) I'll be back in the states sometime in the next few months, so may pick up something there.

Best,

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

The easiest way is to ask your friend - what amp does he use? does he have an amp you could use?
Maybe he or someone he knows has a nice amp they want to sell and would let you try it on the gig.
Who knows, you could end up with a nice old Silverface Deluxe Reverb.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@smurf77)

I know a bit>>
First it depends on how long you intend on playing in a band. If it's just a fad, go for a 2nd hand solid state combo. As a guide, I once used a 65w Crate solid state combo and it didn't quite cut it when playing with drums, bass and another guitar in a small sized busy venue as the crowd soaked up the sound.
If it is something you want to do for a long time, invest wisely in a decent set up to start with, otherwise you waste hard earned cash upgrading time and time again.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that everybody-

Going with the borrowed Marshall for a while- it's a 50 watt something, which looks old and sounds great.

In response to the "how long" question- that's sort of the thing; I didn't expect to get the chance this soon. But, if I don't suck (well, you never know) then maybe they'll keep me on after the other guitarist gets back to town. Or maybe not.

But, I'm planning to play the guitar for as long as possible, as long as I have left, so to speak.

Thing is, though, due to my work, which isn't music related, I'm REALLY unstable. As in, lived in maybe 6 countries in the last 10 years. And amps are HEAVY to move. That's sort of why the roland looks good to me- smallish, portable, lotta sound options; I have a friend who has one, and I love to play through it. But, if the chance keeps coming up, I'd like to keep playing with bands, even if just in my own living room on saturdays, with friends. But the one thing that keeps my GAS at bay at the moment is the knowledge that, at the next move, at best, I'll probably be able to take one guitar, and maybe a small amp. (I travel light. Very light) And I'm already going to be a wreck having to choose between the guitars...

So does anybody know a really loud, really portable piece? Or am I dreaming? ;-)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote