Clear all

Vintage modern 50 watt head + AX 1960 cab

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hullo I tried out the Vintage Modern Marshall today with an AX 1960 cabinet today at first I used the clean channel and I thought "nice, very warm tone" then I pressed the dynamic range button and I played "my God, I sound like Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn etc, this is the kind of sound I've always wanted to come out of my amp without pedals" after about 15 minutes of playing I discovered another switch "mid boost" which made the distortion a bit heavier, which sounded okay but I was really blown away by the original dynamic range switch. I then tried a DSL marshall which sounded brittle compared and the distortion channel sounded forced rather than the natural hendrix esque sound I had got with the Vintage Modern but I noticed one thing, it was much louder especially the clean channel when I switched back to the Vintage Modern I turned the clean up full, once the dynamic range switch was in it was very loud but the clean sound just did not seem loud enough to me. Now, as it says in the title of my post this was a 50 watt version, there is a 100 watt version that I haven't tried yet but I'm wondering if it was just because I was playing in a guitar shop room that the clean didn't seem that loud, it just made me wonder how I'd go on in gigs if I wanted to use my clean channel. Do you think 50 watt is enough, is 100 watt a bit too extreme? I intend to try of it course but I wondered if there if anybody could give me some advice, maybe they have a similar set up or the same head at least? Let me know. I also may try another cab, though the cab seemed nice to me I wonder how the cab designed for that head sounds.

Adam

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Just speaking in generalities, because I'm not familiar with that amp.

100W is 3 dB louder than 50W, if the speakers are of the same efficiency. You can hear that, but just. Less than 1 notch on the volume knob. A 100W amp is usually a good bit bigger and heavier than a 50W, is more expensive, and if a tube amp, has more tubes (or more expensive tubes) to replace when they wear out. If you're playing a gig a 50W amp won't cover, it needs to be miked and run through the PA, anyway. We're talking arenas.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote