Skip to content
New amp for £1500 ...

Notifications
Clear all

New amp for £1500 - any suggestions (mesa / engl especially)

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sach_160)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a max 50Wish guitar amp, combo or head and cab (prob. 2nd hand - budget £1500, dont mind small/cheap cab that i can upgrade later) that has a great clean (preferably not too bright/harsh/plucky but with smooth/slightly dark... ) and a variety of distorted tones, e.g. vintage overdrive, a more modern alternative overdrive etc. I play ambient/post rock/clean/heavy rock/alternative rock/drone/dance stuff in my band... use a LOT of reverb (from effects not amp)... i need a good effects loop and easy ability to switch channels live... also a great sound at a low volume is important too.

I'm getting rid of the AC15 as it has only does that classic brit crunch, which isnt what i play anymore and more importantly, no effects loop, and even the min volume it kicks in at is a bit too high for home use...

Have tried 3 boogies - f30/f50 good modern dist. but not many channel switching options... lonestar - wonderful vintage overdrive (definitely better than my old vox)... the rectoverb seemed to be able to do both the vintage and modern thing... is this my best bet boogie wise? or are there any old boogies that can do what i want i should check out?

it looks like the stiletto can too... but people say it's a metal amp... i'm not metal... the mark iv scares me - looks like too much fine tweaking, would like something easy to tweak/channel switch as i spend enough time tweaking my eventide shizzle...

Also tried an Engl Screamer 50 - incrredible I thought... geat clean, variety of distortion tones... wonderful distortion... better than the boogies, but that may just be because I was able to try them at louder volumes... i guess i naturally would think the boogies to better since they're twice as expensive, but maybe not...

Any advice on amps to check out for what I want would be great, or advice on boogies/engls... any old/vintage boogies worth checking out? any thoughts really!

thanks,

sache

ps I don't really like fender amps - the way they distort (could always use a pedal i guess, but distortion sounds better through an amp to me... though i've only ever used a boss OD2 pedal). I don't want just the marshall sound (as an option great, but not just marshall, god no).

pps i do like vintage amps as they hold value, but mesa/engl i guess aint a vintage field... anything vintage that sound like it may fit my needs out there?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Talk to Matamp.
http://www.matamp.co.uk/amps.htm
You want it, they'll build it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote