Clear all

New amp - or getting sweeter sound from the oldie

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've got a Fender Sidekick 15 about 20 years old. It makes a bit of unwanted noise and does not sound very well when I turn on the gain. I run my guitar (DeArmond m75t) through a Digitech rp50 and sets the amp to clean and flat eq. I get some ok sounds this way, but not very good. The question is if there is any way to identify the noise creator, and fix the amp, or if I'm better off with getting a new one?
I try to play mostly bluesy/jazzy stuff on my electric, being mainly playing acoustic. Use mostly clean sound, and am not really into the use of the different fx's on the Digitech, but find a lot of the factory presets overloaded with electronic tricks.

Can anybody help me with some educated guessing and good advice? I only need a small amp for living room use, and wont spend more than ca $300 max (preferably less). :wink:

(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Got rid of a lot of the trouble with my amp by spraying electronic cleaner (2-propanol) into the pots and turning them a few times from 0 to 10. Still not great sounding, but will do for my use for the moment. Will probably look for something better (and more expensive???) later. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Your first problem is likely hum from the single coil pickups. Is there a way to fix this? Not without totally changing the tone of the guitar. A better amp will help but it won't get rid of the noise. If the amp is poorly grounded then likely a new amp will help. This is an old transistor practice amp right? They weren't designed to last.

There are some products that are supposed to reduce hum but I wouldn't put too much faith in them. Electro Harmonix makes one. There's a cheap one from Behringer. I would take your guitar to the music store and try one out.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Your first problem is likely hum from the single coil pickups. ...
If the amp is poorly grounded then likely a new amp will help. This is an old transistor practice amp right? They weren't designed to last.

The hum is from the amp itself, I'm sure it's some ground loops, but I can live with it for my use, and it's even possible to improve the grounding if I'm really inspired for some dyi electronic work (not for the moment). It's just an old transistor practice amp, as you've guessed, but cleaning the pots made it work ok for my current needs, (still mainly playing acoustic). :D

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Your first problem is likely hum from the single coil pickups. Is there a way to fix this? Not without totally changing the tone of the guitar.

Well, you could always shield your guitar, if the hum is coming from the single coils.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Shielding can help, but won't stop single coil hum.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote