Peavey Scorpion Speaker Repair

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I recently bought a set of older Peavey 15" 2-way PA speakers. Don't worry, I didn't spend very much on them. The horns work fine, but one of the woofers(15" scorpion) is damaged. The accordion edge of the speaker has separated from the frame almost all of the way around. The cabs do have some rust on the screws and such, which leads me to believe that the speakers were wet at some point. Maybe the glue just disentegrated. I'm not sure tho, because all of the other glued parts of the speaker seem fine. The voice coil of the speaker is fine(checked visually by removing the magnet, and also with a meter), although the foam that covers the vent was melted on the inside of the dust cap, and had to be removed. Maybe this is evidence that the speakers were driven too hard, and that is what popped the cone off of the frame.
I'm thinking I could just glue the edge back down. As you can see in the pictures, there is a lip that the surround rests on. However, I'm concerned that using the wrong kind of glue could misalign the speaker, since it is not separated all of the way around.
Does anyone know what the proper procedure would be?
Here's some pictures. I'm pushing the cone outward with my hand so that you can see the gap more clearly.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've used contact cement on less expensive (I.E. no name ones in home stereos) speaker cones, and not had any trouble.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Alright...the first thing that came to mind is super glue. How similar is that to contact cement?

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Not very . Super glue is very brittle and non-flexible , not what you want for a vibrating speaker cone . Contact cement is very rubbery and should work better for this application . A hot melt glue is another option .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just wanted to let everyone know that the contact cement worked very well...the speaker seems to be good as new.

ReplyQuote