Clear all

Cleaning a Speaker

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I got a great deal on a used and VERY dusty 1x12" Fender Bassman amp. (An ss bass amp, not the old tube amps favored by guitarists.) The only thing wrong with it, other than the dust, was that the input jack was shorting out. Easy fix. Sounds great!

After giving the amp a thorough Hoovering, I noticed some peculiar spots on the paper speaker cone. Looked like ... well, let's just say the amp's former owner may have had a very odd fetish for Fender amps ... :shock:

Assuming this gunk will come off, what's the best way to clean it up? I am hesitant to use water on a paper cone. Would naptha be a good choice since it will dry quickly, or is it too harsh? Rubbing Alcohol? Something else?

Thanks.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

For reference, naptha on a soft cloth worked well, and didn't eat up the paper cone.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Nice to know. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

After giving the amp a thorough Hoovering, I noticed some peculiar spots on the paper speaker cone. Looked like ... well, let's just say the amp's former owner may have had a very odd fetish for Fender amps ... :shock:

Are you sure it's what you fear it might be? It could just be speaker dope that's used to stop "bad" vibrations (the anti-Beach Boy song) in your speaker (called cone crying). It looks like thinned out rubber cement. A lot of speakers come with it already on from the factory. Sometimes people add it later to reduce cone cry and it is supposed to be put on the outer edge (sometimes on the inner edge) of the cone though if somebody was putting it on themselves they might drop it on the main body of the cone by accident.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Hyperborea, thanks for your note. It was definitely not dope though. It was splattered well beyond the speaker onto the baffle ... and it was creamy white. Maybe it was caused by something innocuous; a young child who dropped a baby bottle nearby, which splattered fresh mother's milk through the grille.

May we all be blissfully ignorant and never know the truth. ;)

ReplyQuote