Notifications
Clear all

New Amplifier

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jessz)
Topic starter  

I am saving up for a new amp to use for gigging with my rock/pop band. I want the best tone possible so i've been looking at tube amplifiers such as the Fender Twin and Marshalls. I play a Fender Strat and a Les Paul and the amp will be miked up a lot of the time so it doesn't have to be extremely loud. Does anyone have any recommendations? Money is not really a problem as i want to save up for an amp i can use for a LONG time but i'm not going to buy a $10,000 dumble or anything!

One more question..a lot of my band's songs are in distortion, if i got a fender twin, would i be able to get a good enough distortion sound while using a pedal?  

"Like my brother Jimmie says, I play like I'm breaking out of jail."-Stevie Ray Vaughan

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Another one you may want to try out.  These are execellent amps.
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV.

Whether its a Fender, Marshall, or Mesa. You can get great distortion for any of these amps without the need of any pedals, it's just a matter of what sound and tone your wanting.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I play rock/pop and I've got a Fender Twin and its a great amp, but it is LOUD!  In order to get the best out of it i bought a THD Hotplate to quieten it down and still get (nearly) the Twin sound, otherwise it's really disappointing!  The amp is impossible to use at home without one ( i don't live in a forest), and i've used the hotplate for gigs as well, much to the rst of the bands relief.  Never needed distortion though it, channel 2 is quite enough for me, but i dont play metal, a bit of punk though....

Next time, I'd look at one of the smaller Fenders, like a Deville or Bassbreaker if i wanted a combo.

The other thing about it is HEAVY!! Should have 2 handles on it....  So, again, next time, i'd think about a head and a 2x12 or 4x10cab.  more space, but less likely to disable you. I played a beaten up  JCM800 at a practice studio and it rocked!

Mind you, i've never played a stadium, so maybe with a big stage and a road crew the Twin would be perfect!

Try 'em all....

ReplyQuote