Clear all

New Pedal Settings..

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys, Well Im putting together my set-up slowly, and today I picked-up a new Distortion pedal. I have played on this exact pedal every time I went into my local guitar store, and always loved it but it was 100$ and I useually didnt have it for a pedal, but today I picked it up!! :D I also got the adapter for it so say goodbye to 9 Volts!!

Now Im having some trouble. I KNOW I can get the sound out of this thing because Ive played it at the guitar store, seen online video's ect, and It sounded great at the store when I was playing..

Now my problem is, I can't get the perfect balance inbetween the amps knobs and the pedals knobs. I don't know what to do! I dont know where to start, sure the pedal comes with pre-settings, but I cant experience the settings fully because my amp has its own settings already. So its like running tweaked settings into already tweaked settings. = either really good or really bad. Right now all Ive been hearing is bad.

Its not exactly "bad" but its not that sweet tone I heard on youtube or at my local guitar store, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips on how to set-up my new pedal and my amp??

Theres 5 knobs on the Behringer, and 6 on the pedal, so thats like endless situations and possiblities... So set up the amp first then the pedal? Or the pedal set and then the amp? Idk Idk Idk Idk Idk Idk Idk IDK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: By the way its a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Dude....

First off: the FUN is finding or re-finding "that" sound. Only YOU know what "THAT" sound is. So start turning knobs. Be patient and take your time. Start with your AMP settings totally flat, or all your tone knobs at the 12 o'clock position then go from there in small increments.

Second: its really really really hard, no impossible..... to help you get where you want to be without 'hearing' what it is now and what you'd like it to be. We can't hear whats in your head unless you give us some sound samples.

For instance I'm still trying to nail down David Gilmours effect(s) from the intro to Sorrow. (song 10, album: Momentary Lapse of Reason). Its been a few weeks now that I've been looking. I'm really really close, again using my GT8 but then again I'm a patient man.

Patience my friend. Take your time, you will come up with some great tones in the process. When you find a new tone you like. Write down your settings....(take notes).

You'll get there.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here's a link to a walkthrough of that pedal if it helps any:

http://www.gearwire.com/boss-mt2.html

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

MetallicaMan:
Your posts always seem to have to impatient frustrated tone to them, chill, everything is going to be alright. I believe you said you were sixteen right? If you really love guitar you be playing it for another 65 years or so, plenty of time to find your style and tone. Besides guitar is a very slow learning process and it would be beneficial to acquire some patience.

I would recommend having your amp settings neutral (all at 12 o'clock) to start with. Once you start to become familiar with the settings and EQ on the pedal you can start to use the EQ on your amp to accentuate the sounds you want to get.

P.S. The guys at GearWire never seem to know what they are talking about. They usually just point out the blatantly obvious stuff. :roll:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You need to use your Behringer's clean chanel. The one that is supposed to sound like a Fender amp. I believe it is labeled "tweed" You want clean also. Set the EQ to all the middle settings as suggested by everyone above. Set your pedal to all the middle EQ settings and then tweek them til they sound as good as they can. Now tweek the amp's EQ settings to see if you can improve on that. Now I would experiment with the brittish and california sounds but keep to the clean settings. You want your pedal doing the distorting. That's how I would go about it anyhow.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Moon Rider Helped me out bigtime on AIM, he told me to set my amp at Low 4, Mid 7, High 7, level 10, and drive at like 2-3 and tweak the pedal til I find the sound I want and got pretty close to it. Im much happier with my tone through it now then before..but thanks you guys!

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote