Clear all

new speakers for amp

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a peavey valveking 212 and have never been over happy with it, despite having read lots of positive reviews from people before i bought it.

first of all i realise that the problem may very well be the way i set up my gear and the levels i use, this is something i need to work on, but after lots of internet reading (okay - should have done this before i bought it :oops: ), i have heard lots of people say the amp is only good once the cheapo speakers are swapped.

now, obviously, this is not something i can test before i commit to. so, 1) has anybody got experience with this - or this amp in particular?
2) Am i risking any damage by changing the speakers - do i have to take impedence into account??
3) is it a job somebody like me can do myself, or do i have to pay somebody, and if so - who?? i have mentioned it to my local music shop and they cant do it??
4) if you do recommend a speaker swap, what speakers should i use (meaning "types", not brands)

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

No real damage risk as long as you follow the proper procedures. You do need to match the impedance of the speakers to what the amp is rated for. Why not look at what the others on the 'net have replaced theirs with, to get a starting point to go from. Speakers can be a very personal thing, depending on the sound you are looking for, type of music you are playing, etc.

I cannot recommend any particular types, as I don't own that one personally. The actual replacing is pretty much a "nut n' bolts" type of thing, & also soldering. Not a real in-depth repair of any sort. Maybe other members can point you in a better direction. Thought I would get the ball rolling anyway.

Good Luck, & let us know what you go with. :)

EDIT - You can use a VOM (Volt/Ohm meter) to check what the impedance of the Peavey Valve King speakers are, to use that as a starting point when you purchase the replacements. Also, pay attention to the wiring, i.e., if Peavey has them wired in Series or Parallel.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Looks like that amp has some impedance switching capabilities so a lot of choices there. Something to consider although I know you gig so weight is an issue, but have you thought of a seperate speaker cabinet? You can use the 212 as a head to drive another cabinet. Just a thought. This would circumvent the "replacement" issue. Disconnect them and run an outboard cab. I suggest a 4 X 12. :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I've swapped a few speakers in amps, not difficult at all. You do have to match impedence. So if you've got 16 ohms speakers in there now, you would want to replace them with 16 ohm speakers. That is most likely what you have in there, although they might be 8 ohms speakers.

As far as replacement speakers, it would be hard to go wrong with the classic Celestion Vintage 30. This is a very "smooth" sounding speaker for lack of a better term. It emphasizes the Mids. It doesn't have huge bottom end, nor does it have harsh highs.

Another popular combination in 2 X 12s is the Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30. Lots of folks love this combination.

Celestion Vintage 30

Celestion Greenback

Celestion is made in England, so you should be able to get much better prices than we do. You can also find these speakers on EBay often. You can get both these speakers in either 8 ohm or 16 ohms impedence.

Oh, and installation is usually very easy, sometimes you have to pull the head out partially, or pull all the tubes to have room. Just four nuts hold the speaker in, very easy. I've never had to solder, you just pull the clips off the speaker terminals (take note of which clip goes on which terminal + or -), snap them back on the new speakers. You can probably swap both speakers in less than an hour tops.

When you first fire up your amp with the new speakers, don't be surprised if they make some funny noises the first hour or so. They do that, don't be alarmed. And it takes awhile, maybe 20-30 hours before the speakers break in. Then they will sound sweet.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys for some really helpful suggestions. ill get shopping when the next school holidays come around in 3 weeks, and let you know how i got on.

TR - i did briefly think about your suggestion of getting a speaker cabinet, but space is at premium, i simply couldnt fit another speaker cabinet in my car along with the drummer, half his drum kit, and all my stuff. not without leaving my guitars at home (although, the audience might wish thats what i did sometimes :lol: )

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I hope I'm not to late for this. I'm a VK owner but a 112. Ya, the speakers PV uses are crap to say the least. Lots of choice out there for you, however I believe the 212 has an issue with tube clearance on one speaker.

You may want to check this out.

Sorry can't seem to get the url code right. just copy and paste

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the link - it makes good reading!!
ill give it some serious looking at over this next week.

ReplyQuote