Clear all

NEW SPEAKERS

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well im finally going to take the plunge and change the speakers on my peavey valveking 212.
after 16 months of not being happy with it at gig volumes and reading reviews that say "it is a great amp, but the speakers are poo", i have finally had enough.

anyway, this isnt a "which is best" question - more of a "what are my options" types question.

My speakers are 15". do i need to have both the same make? are there brands to avoid (or look for)? and most importantly what should i expect to pay - i am often guilty of jumping in feet first and paying over the odds in excitement?? Also, who are good online suppliers??

also, for one final time, do i need to change them?? i am pretty sure i do, but only based on lots of reviews i have read. if anybody has suggestions for other reasons i would getty a muddy sound at gig volumes i will be happy to hear them?

thanks in advance guys.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Sorry, can't help you out. I suggest you have a look at this forum ( http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/ ) . The people over there are extremely knowledgeable about all things amp and speakers, and you are certain to get good responses.
Cheers, b.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

peavey valveking 212.

My speakers are 15".

You sure you've got 15s in a 212? Usually that would mean 2x12" ... maybe you've got something different?

Regarding your tone, which you say is muddy, have you tried using an external EQ pedal? Even a cheapy like the Danelectro can work wonders.

Also, check out the Eminence website; they give a little blurb for each of their speakers as to how it sounds; might help you along in your tone quest.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

yes youre right, they are 12" - i dont know why i wrote 15"?? :oops:

an eq pedal?? ill see if i can get my hands on one to check it out.
bloos66 - thanks for the link - ill check it out now.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

also, for one final time, do i need to change them?? i am pretty sure i do, but only based on lots of reviews i have read. if anybody has suggestions for other reasons i would getty a muddy sound at gig volumes i will be happy to hear them?

thanks in advance guys.

Changing speakers will completely change the character of the amp. You've had those in long enough to break in, and if you're still not liking the sounds they give you even after major adjustments of the tone stack and 16 months, I'd say a speaker swap is in order.

Recommendations . . . I've only replaced speakers in an amp once for sound/tone reasons in 43 years of playing. I swapped the Eminence that came stock in my Blues Jr. for a Jensen MOD 12-35 to tame the ice-pick highs produced by that amp/speaker combo. I've been really happy with the results, but I pored over "tone charts" and frequency graphs for about 6 weeks before actually buying.

Most of the time I've replaced blown speakers, and usually would buy Jensen or Eminence. Both brands I found reliable and rugged. I've got 40 year old Jensens in a pair of Kustom columns that sound like new, despite the fact they've been rode hard and put up wet many a time :)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Moonrider, do you buy them online?? if so which sites do you find reliable??

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well i have looked a few different speakers at online stores, but i notice each speaker comes with a power rating.
my amp is a 100w amp with 2 speakers - so what power rating am i looking for in my new speakers??

ReplyQuote