Clear all

Tinny Sounding Amp

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My Fender Super Champ Deluxe has only a 10 inch speaker. It's OK, but comes across a little tinny when on the clean channels. It's only got Treble and Bass adjustments. No adjustment for mids. It also doesn't help that I am not hearing extremely low frequencies, and high frequencies are killer to my ear.

So, I want a fuller sound. I think that's the best way to describe it. The tone just sounds small. Plenty loud. Volume not a problem. I've poured through a Fender forum and lots of people talk about an Eminence Rajin Cagun. Not a bad option. It's only $65, and those who bought it claim it's the best thing since sliced bread. Eminence's web site has sound bites for this speaker, but I don't know what's driving it. So, I still hold that as an option.

I have an EQ. A Boss GE-7. I looked back through this forum and found some settings that Wes, as he so often does, was kind enough to post for us. I've just spent 45 minutes or so messing with various settings including some of the ones he posted. So far, a scooped pattern sounds decent and does beef up the tone somewhat. The speaker can only handle so much low end before it starts losing it though. Plus, there's an annoying little hiss that comes from the pedal...even with a battery. (power supply upstairs with my Blues Deluxe rig)

So, my questions:
#1: Has anyone heard this speaker, and if so, your impressions?
#2: Given my description of a weak or tinny tone, what would you set some of your EQ settings at?
#3: Any other suggestions that I have yet to consider?

I do want to keep this amp. It's a great travel amp and the voicings (or models) are really flexible enough to not have to worry about dragging a pedal board around.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A little follow-up to myself in case anyone's interested.

I walked away from it for about an hour. Went back and noticed I had not meutralized the amp EQ settings. I put them both at 5. This allowed me to bump up the left two settings (100 to 10 and 200 to 6-ish) slightly without pushing the speakers that hard. What an astonoshing difference now between not having the EQ on and not having it on (and back to previous settings). So far, so good. Probably will fiddle more later and try any suggestions you guys might have. Here's where I'm at:

100 = 10
200 = 6
400 = 0
800 = -2.5
1.6 = 0
3.2 = 5
6.4 = 7

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

It's all in your head! :mrgreen:

I was going to mention an EQ pedal, but I see you already have one of those. I don't know anything about the mentioned speaker, sorry. Sometimes my amp(s) seem to "develop" a tinny/other sound that I do not like. I don't know if it is because I get so used to the same sound & get bored with it or what, but that is when I start fiddling with settings.

I sill put all the EQ settings to flat & then work from there. Sometimes I look on youtube & I see guys that have my same amp & they are reviewing it & talking about settings, so I will copy theirs to see if I like it. One neat thing about my Behringer modeling amp is that the possibilities are endless with this thing; so many different amp/cab simulations, etc., that I really never get bored playing with it.

Keep turnin' the knobs & let us know what you come up with!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

I believe your amp has a Speaker Out on the back doesn't it? I am sure that is a great speaker, but it's still a 10" speaker.

You might look at a speaker cabinet like Avatar.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/main.htm

Check out the G212H about halfway down. I own one of these with two Celestion Vintage 30s, and it is a great cab. They also have the G12H30/Vintage 30 combination. That is even better, they didn't offer that when I got mine years ago. But these are very well built cabs and surprisingly not too heavy, mine weighs maybe 40 lbs. max. But you will get so much more bottom end, and just plain fuller and bigger sound with a 12" or 2 X 12". Don't know if you want to invest that much, but this will get you a much bigger sound.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Those are some nice looking cabs, but I'd lose some portability. Come to think of it, I'd lose out on some dough too. Might as well just get a HRD and another set of pedals. Hmmmmmmm :twisted: :twisted:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You might check out a Blackheart 12" cab. Its a closed cab so it has a nice bottem end to it 8) MF has them for about $150. I have one and like it alot :note1: :note2:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH112-1X12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=600557

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

The HRD may or may not be what you want. I have an HRD that I would consider OK. I still don't like the sound of my Strat and HRD together. To me it's still too tinny and shrill but part of it's because of the guitar also.

I'm trying to connect my HRD to another cab to see if that helps my tone.

Now the tone I'm looking for most likely is not what you are looking for. I'm looking for a much heavier sound that I really can't seem to get with the HRD.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris

You are playing a Fender guitar through a Fender amp. You are going to get a Fender sound unless you use pedals. I've played with you enough to know what you are after, you are after Marshall tone. So you need to get a Marshall amp, or an amp with similar tone like Orange or Hiwatt.

Even with a Marshall, you still have a Strat. You are going to get a Hendrix type tone. If you really want the heavier tones you probably want to go with a humbucker guitar, especially a Les Paul. That is the classic heavy Rock tone you are after.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote