Clear all

New tubes and speakers for EVJ combo

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking of replacing the tubes and maybe the speaker in my EVJ combo, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not even really sure what kind of tubes the EVJ has :? The speaker is decent but I just thought if anyone knew of one that sounded really nice, I'd check it out.

Steve-0

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Why do you want to replace them?

Some folks here have had very good service from Eurotubes. They were very helpful to me. Wes recommended them, as did others.

I hooked an Avatar Hellatone 30 watt speaker (a slightly modified Celestion) to my Peavey Classic 20 and WOW! it made a huge difference. Well, it was in a nice 1x12" cabinet, but it really sounded amazing compared to the stock speaker. And they are relatively inexpensive too.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/hellatone.htm

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Why do you want to replace them?

Good question, I'm still in the process of upgrading my gear (I ordered a couple of pedals and I'm going to try to build some too :D ) so I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas in case I felt I needed some. I have a cheap yamaha practice amp that I use with my talkbox that I might use for some stereo chorus effects and maybe I'll get a new speaker for that, I dunno.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The EVJ Combo has as nice a speaker as you could hope for, IMO. It's the same speaker Weber sells as the Ceramic 8. I wouldn't replace the stock Sovtek tubes till they don't sound good anymore.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I play my EVJ head through two different cabinets, a 1 X 12 with an Eminence 125 I swapped out of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and an Avatar 2 X 12 with Celestion Vintage 30s. Although the Vintage 30 is a classic and great sounding speaker, I actually prefer the Eminence with the EVJ. The EVJ is a fairly dark sounding amp to me, the Eminence speaker is a little brighter than the Celestions, so for this amp I like Eminence better. The EVJ will sound very Marshall through Celestions.

I still have the stock tubes in my EVJ, but many claim the JJs (Eurotubes) sound great in this amp. I have put JJs in my Hot Rod Deluxe and Marshall DSL401 and like them very much, especially the Marshall, improved the tone dramatically.

This is a generality, but if you want a Marshall type tone go with Celestion speakers, if you prefer a Fender type tone, go with Eminence or Jensen.

Here is Eurotubes:

Eurotubes

Good tubes and prices, and great service from Bob.

Before you spend a lot on tubes or a speaker, try a good EQ pedal first. You will be amazed how an EQ pedal can pull great tone out of a so-so sounding amp. The Dano Fish & Chips is excellent and the best bargain out there.

Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ Pedal

This pedal sounds just as good as other models costing 3 times as much. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. Wes, I actually just bought that danelectro E.Q off of ebay for $40 bucks, so I should be getting that in little bit and I can try it out. If it's anywhere near as good as their PB + J delay pedal I'll be quite happy (i find that the pedal adds a nice warmth to my sound).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The EVJ head probably is a bit dark sounding if it's balanced like the EVJ combo, which has a very bright speaker in an open backed cabinet. It has an unused space on the PC board for a "bright cap," a bypass cap to let more high frequencies go through that no sane person would install on a combo.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet

Yeah, my EVJ is a little dark sounding for lack of a better term. But it has a good clear tone I really like. It is somewhere between a Fender and Marshall clean in my opinion. Really has a tone of it's own. :D

Steve

The Fish and Chips EQ is excellent, I have two on my pedalboard. I have one placed just after my Behringer TO800 overdrive and Marshall Guv'nor. This is the one I use to obtain my tone. Then I have another F & C EQ right after that, the 2nd EQ I set the sliders flat in the middle but boost the volume on the far right. I use this as a volume boost for solos, works great.

The only complaint I have ever heard is that people say it squeals. This pedal will squeal when the battery is going dead. So if you hear that, there is nothing wrong with the pedal at all, your battery is almost dead, that's all. :D

I power all my pedals with a One Spot, so I never have problems with dead batteries.

And the PB & J is great, I use that on my pedalboard too, it is next to last (Sonic Stomp is last). It really does get some nice delays and works great for a reverb pedal too. Does take a little time to find the perfect settings. But I really love it and use both the short and long delays. Dano makes darn good pedals.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote