Question on terminology

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@satch_da_man)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Just trying to figure out the difference between "treble" and "presence". I am using a Behringer X V-Amp and trying to find "my" tone.

Thanks for any input.

SDM

Edit ** I am looking at tonesettings.com, and some suggested settings include both Treb and presence.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Treble controls a filter bleeding off high frequencies in a gain stage of the amp. Usually it's not really that high frequency. Presence is actually a control on the negative feedback loop of the amp, bleeding off the higher frequencies from the negatve feedback as the control is turned up. That means the gain of the amp actually rises for those frequencies, rather than just not having them bled off as with turning up the treble, but the presence affects a higher frequency range. What you hear from turning up the presence is more finger, string and pick noise. I guess that's why they call it "presence." Sounds like there's someone there.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@satch_da_man)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ric...

Food for thought. I'm very happy with the X V-Amp, but the EQ controls do seem to be less than ideal.

There is a bass eq adjustment and I can adjust how much of the mid/bass range is affected, but there's no treble adjustment, only presence.

Oh well, All the besr equipment in the world, and it's still my hands on the guitar.

thanks

SDM

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ain't that the truth?!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote