Newbie question re: EVJ Head

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey guys,

quick question, if i buy an EVJ head will i be able to use it with just headphones ?
cheers

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@97reb)
Noble Member

The Speaker out really needs to be sent to an actual speaker and the ohm load needs to match. Your headphones by themselves just won't cut it.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

On the other hand if you do have an amp of some description you can use the head in conjunction with the speaker in that amp. I use the speaker in my fender solid state amp which is a 12" 4 ohm celestion speaker and it sounds good. You have the choice of using speakers with 4, 8 or 16 ohm requirements. I merely ran a piece of heavy speaker wire (not guitar to amp type chord) with a couple of spade connectors on one end and a 1/4 " mono jack on the other. When I find a cab I like I will change to that for convenience sake.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

For that matter, the EVJ combo works fine as a "head" connected to a cab. Its only drawback is having less output impedance options. Mine came only set up for the internal 4 ohm speaker. It has the 8 ohm lead on the output transformer inside it, ready to be connected to a second jack or an impedance selector switch. Works fine to plug an 8 ohm cab into mine on the 4 ohm, anyway.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Your other option is to use a speaker load with a low-level output. Weber has just the ticket for the need you stated. $65

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm

Plus, it will work with amps up to 50 watts.

Cheers!, and a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

hey guys,

quick question, if i buy an EVJ head will i be able to use it with just headphones ?
cheers

quick answer: no, unless you want to experience headphones blowing up on your head, and the amp immediately after.

Spring for the cab too. Not only does it work well with the EVJ, it'll work well with other amps too. (like both of my voxes )

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Moonrider, you shouldn't really invest in the EVJ head unless you have a speaker cab to play through. If you need to keep volumes super low I would look for an amp with a built in headphone out. As others said, you could invest in an attenuator like the Weber's with a headphone out, but you need to make sure it is an attenuator with a speaker motor as opposed to a "resistive" attenuator. Tube amps should always be operated with a speaker load.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

As a slight diversion . . .

You hear a lot about how good a value the Epi Valve Jr. head is, but you don't hear much about the matching speaker cab for it.

In my opinion the little cabinet is one of the best values out there if you need an extension speaker. The Eminence Lady Luck speaker just sings with every amp I have that can set to 16 ohm impedance. The cabinet itself not only looks nice, but it's built well.

Even if you're just looking for a speaker cab, take a look at the Epi Valve jr. cab. You might be glad you did!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote