Clear all

Old AC30...

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So apparently my dad has an old AC30 under the stairs. Now, going by the fact he's 50 now, that must mean that he got this amp in his teens (or so he says), which means it must be between 1969 - 1975 latest.

Trouble is, under our stairs is cramped, and I always thought my dad would be annoyed if he noticed (and he would notice, i can't cover up my tracks very well) that i'd used the amp, so I have never seen or heard my dads amp.

I finally saw a new AC30 in a guitar shop today. They're pretty damn big for something thats 30W...I only have a small practice amp and my dad gave permission to use it at a few gigs, and was wondering - what are these amps like? Especially 70's ones? And are they good for a live set?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Why don't you ask your dad to let you get it out? Hopefully it still works. The electrolytic filter capacitors in the power supply WILL go bad with it sitting unplayed for a long time and may short out, so when you turn it on the first time keep a finger on them for a while and make sure they're not heating up excessively. (They can explode.) Often old caps will successfully re-form when voltage is applied to them, if they're not too far gone. Sitting unused is terribly bad for electronic equipment.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I've never had the pleasure of playing one, but AC30s are about some of the best-known, well-loved amps out there. They, along with the Marshall lead amps, were some of the most popular amps of the 60s-70s. so, yeah, it's a good amp, and would do you well at a gig.

Ricochet is right (when is he ever wrong when it comes to tech stuff?) that amps don't like to sit unused. However, given the propensity for old caps to explode (which he even mentioned), I think I would opt not to keep my finger on it to see if it's warming up or not. Call me a wuss. The best way to bring an old amp up again is to start it out at a lower voltage and slowly bring it up to full 120VAC. Unfortunately, this requires some special hardware that you probably don't have access to. Know any electricians?

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My dads pretty good at electrics, but i'll mention to him all the things you've said before we boot it up again.

Thanks guys.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What are they like?

They sound like all your birthdays and christmasses came at once with a superb lunch followed by apple crumble and custard and now you're sitting in a big warm comfy armchair in front of a roaring fire with a large single malt in your hand.

That's what an AC30 is like.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds pretty good to me!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

PLEASE Do not power that amp up until a tech can look at it. You can lose a transformer if the wrong caps are bad, and cause yourself a lot of hassles and expense.
Sounds cool, though. All I got from my dad was a friendly foot in the a$$...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is a page at GuitarGeek that shows some of the famous bands and players that use(d) the Vox AC30.

http://guitargeek.com/gearview/596/

If you are really clever, you might drop the hint that that amp would make a nice Christmas present. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote