Clear all

Orange Amps

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

How good are these? Obviously I'd test one out myself before I get one. But everything I've heard about them is great. Seems like they have the natural tone that tube amps have and I love the flexibility of them. Great for blues it seems, but for people who play modern music(not myself), it seems like it has that too.

All the samples I've heard, the reviews I've read, the input I got from one of my friends.

BTW the amp I'm looking at is the Orange Crush 30R ($200). I'd like to get it by the end of summer, then I'll have more money to put in the bank and some to spend because of my summer job.

So yea, I'd appreciate any input you have. And if you have any suggestions to a better amp, please tell me. And note, I wouldn't want to spend anything over $350.

Thanks.

(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Orange is my all time favorite amp.
I've wanted one since the late 80's and never had one yet. :(

The new tube amps are suppose to be wonderful.
And they make 'em for either a more blues/classic rock sound,
or a heavier rock sound.

The Tube amps are outrageously expensive though.
Handmade and built like tanks with that warm British crunch. :D

I believe the amp you are thinking of is a solid state amp.
I have heard that they sound pretty good though and of course they look awsome.
(At least to me, Orange is my favorite color)

If you are looking for a good, inexpensive tube amp...
I would suggest trying the Epiphone Blues Custom 30.
It's actually a bit more than you want to spend(550.00 US).... still seems like a good price for what it is.
It got some really good reveiws.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

For around $500, you could have a really good, but small, Orange tube head - the Tiny Terror. It is 7W/15W switchable, Class A and sounds, by all the reviews I've read, amazing.
It's RRP is £299 in the UK, but with the dollar being as it is, the US price is going to be high.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Orange is my all time favorite amp.
I've wanted one since the late 80's and never had one yet. :(

The new tube amps are suppose to be wonderful.
And they make 'em for either a more blues/classic rock sound,
or a heavier rock sound.

The Tube amps are outrageously expensive though.
Handmade and built like tanks with that warm British crunch. :D

I believe the amp you are thinking of is a solid state amp.
I have heard that they sound pretty good though and of course they look awsome.
(At least to me, Orange is my favorite color)

If you are looking for a good, inexpensive tube amp...
I would suggest trying the Epiphone Blues Custom 30.
It's actually a bit more than you want to spend(550.00 US).... still seems like a good price for what it is.
It got some really good reveiws.

Ken
First, good luck on getting one in the future. :)

And yea, I was reading about Orange's new tube amps. They sound amazing.

As for the more expensive amps. Yea, I'm gonna shade a way for now. Thanks for the suggestions though. And yea, orange is a great color. Not my fave though lol
For around $500, you could have a really good, but small, Orange tube head - the Tiny Terror. It is 7W/15W switchable, Class A and sounds, by all the reviews I've read, amazing.
It's RRP is £299 in the UK, but with the dollar being as it is, the US price is going to be high.
Yea, I came across that when I was on orangeamps.com. Wouldn't that require buying a cabinet also? Though I'm gonna shade away frm that too, thanks anyways.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Orange do a less expensive range called "Crush" - Orange Crush, geddit?

Go check 'em out.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

That's the one I'm looking at.

ReplyQuote
(@ansur)

Sorry for digging up this topic, but seeing as I've got a question about amp cabinets, it seems more right to me to post a question here instead of creating a new topic.

I'm thinking about buying a great Amp Head (to me anyway; a Hiwatt).
Now, seeing at the cost of such a Head amp, I'm considering buying a 'budget' speaker. Looking around I stumbled on the 1x12 Orange Cabinet (I'll mainly be using it in the back of my garden, not at gigs or anything like that... for now). Seeing as I would be buying the Hiwatt for as clean a sound as possible, how would such a speaker influence the actual output?

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

I got the 15 watt version. It is a little edgy at high overdrive levels but has a much better sound than the Fender amps in that range; sounds pretty warm, too. When used clean with an old Supro it sounds very British, especially with the slide. I want to see if I can get a bigger speaker in the cab, kinda disappointed that there is no speaker out for an extension cab.

ReplyQuote