Clear all

Speaker Matching

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok i've always been a fan of the 12" and 18" combination. But I was wondering what your takes on it all are.. I have the chance to purchase a pair or perfect 15" for 300.00. that would make my rig as follows. (2) 18" Yamaha' CW118 (1) 15" Yamaha and (1) 12" Yamaha per side. Is this good match up, or would my original idea of (2) 18" and (2) 12" work better.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Always a tough issue. My feeling is that having more crossovers that are not very far apart is not good - too much phase-shifting and all that. The other factor is how low will the 12s go?

So it's 18 cross to 12 at 200Hz and 12 cross to horns at 2K?

Or 18 cross to 15 at 100Hz, 15 cross to 12 at 500, and 12 cross to horns at 2K?

I think I'd pass on the 15s for this use. However, to use them as smaller subs would work (use instead of the 18s). You're right that the price looks good.

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

right now i run 2 subs per side and i crossover at about 125.... i was thinking technically if I add another mid high comob i really need 3 subs per side to compensate so having a 12 with horn and 15 with horn would be my mid hi plus the 15 will carry some bottom... thats what i was thinking but i pretty sure i'm just going to get another pari of 12"s

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the 15s were stand-alone for mid-low. If the 18/12/horn arrangement sounds good, I'd stick with it.

ReplyQuote