Skip to content
outdoor acoustic gi...

Notifications
Clear all

outdoor acoustic gig please advise me, help!!!!!!!!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hi everyone. I am writing this from the comfort of my desk here in the UK, but at the weekend a freind and myself were invited to perform a few acoustic songs at a party. To cut a long story short, we followed a bunch of acts who all played plugged in, either straight electric or electro acoustic, sound was good. When it was our turn I told the guy managing the kit that we needed to mike up 2 acoustic guitars and one vocal - "no problem....." famous last words!!!!

When we finally got on, even with the mikes placed really close to the guitar soundhole we both lacked volume big style, try as we might we couldn't get a decent sound either strumming or picking. What we did get was really boomy.

So come on guys and girls, your tips please, for the most basic of set ups Simon and Garfunkel style (well, not quite...). How best to get a good sound from 2 acoustics with one person singing as well.

Any advice would be really helpful so we don't repeat this .....!!! :oops:

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

When we finally got on, even with the mikes placed really close to the guitar soundhole we both lacked volume big style, try as we might we couldn't get a decent sound either strumming or picking. What we did get was really boomy.

It's actually pretty simple in theory, but can take a few minutes to implement:

Don't point mikes directly at the sound hole, because all the low end focuses there. Spend a minute or two aiming the mike at different spots on the face of the guitar until you get the sound you want.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Not too close, and all the tone controls flat on zero is best. Also, have the mike below the level of the soundhole to reduce bass booming.

A good quality mike will work wonders. I saw John Williams in London a few years back, in a 3,000 capacity concert hall. He had a single mike on a floor stand, pointing at the body of his guitar - I guess it must have been about one metre from his guitar. Something like this might be cost-prohibitive, but it's really worth going for the best quality you can afford.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote