Clear all

Overdrive Pedal With a Fender Amp.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm playing a Jay Turser Les Paul, and soon a Hagstron HIIN, through a Fender Princeton Chorus. I'm using a V-Amp for my metal and punk songs, but I need something for blues and rock.

I was thinking about picking up a Visual Sound-Jekyll & Hyde pedal. I'm looking for a tone similar to Californication by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, or Three Pistols by the Tragically Hip, and perhaps even something bluesy, kind of like Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Now obviously this pedal won't get me the exact tones, but I just want something similar. I'm fed up with the V-Amp, it's just not doing it for me anymore. The Visual Sound one seems like a decent choice, and I've been recommended it by a number of people. Any ideas if I should go for it?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Have you tried any of the tube based OD/distortion pedals? Vox and a few others make them, they might warm up the signal a bit more.
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/pedals/cooltron.htm

Unfortunately they are on the expensive side.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Primeta hit on something. You are trying to get the tone of players using an overdrive pedal through a tube amp. That is why a tube based overdrive might be the way to go on your solid state amp. That tube in the preamp warms up the sound and gets you closer to the tube tones you are hearing. But it might be impossible to get the exact tone you are after.

As far as recommending an overdrive pedal, the most famous overdrive of all is the Ibanez Tubescreamer. This pedal was made especially famous by Stevie Ray Vaughn. It is THE pedal.

Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

A cheaper, but very good overdrive is the Danelectro Daddy-O. I own one of these and really like it. You can do anything from clean boost to almost metal distortion. And the 3 band EQ is really great, you can get almost any tone you want out of this pedal. It is really good.

Danelectro Daddy-O

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote