Clear all

Q on the Classic 30.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm deciding on a tube amp to purchase. Currently I'm attempting to compare teh Fender Hot Rod line with the Peavy Classic 30. I played a 2x12 and 4x12 Deville and really liked the sound on the clean channel( the HRD was out of comission at the Guitar Center I was at). I need to try the HRD to see if I notice much a difference in sound between that and the Deville, but the Classic 30 is perking my attention for many reasons ( the sound clips on the site, and the look are both very appealing). Supposedly it has a much better sounding overdrive than the Fender, which was really the only thing I didn't like about the Fender ( it just sounded very junky, like a bad stompbox...however this is mabye becuase it never went beyond 3 or 4 on the volume). However, one issue I'm going to have is volume. I know that the HRD is supposed to be very loud, especially for a 30 watt. I was wondering if somebody could share their experience with a Classic 30, especially how the volume compares to a HRD.

I play a Strat mostly, with a old Ovation Preacher solid-body ( think SG) Occasionally. I play stuff closer to classic rock than anything, but I also go for the trashy, 'old-school' type sounds of some indie music like The Strokes and The White Stripes.

Thanks.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

E.Sherman

Yeah, the Hot Rod amps are really super loud. They are a gigging amp for sure, it is difficult to use them around the house. And the Drive channel is not real popular. It is not bad, just very late 60's early 70's.

I have never owned a Classic 30, but I have seen and heard them quite a few times. It is really a very impressive amp with an excellent clean channel. This amp is used by thousands of gigging musicians, so it obviously must be loud enough to handle gigs. I have not heard the overdrive, but owner reviews say it is very good, much better than the HRD. I have owned other Peavey tube amps, they have a good overdrive. It is a good solid tone, I guess if I had to compare it, think of old Bad Company. I used to get that tone easy on my Peavey amps.

The only negative I have ever heard on this amp is that the back is open and the tubes are exposed. But you can buy a little grille on e-bay to cover the back. I think it runs around $30. Other than that, this amp gets rave reviews. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

You might check out the new Blues Deluxe Reissue. I played one two weeks ago. It has an excellent clean channel almost exactly the same as the HRD. However, the Drive channel is very different. It is a mild overdrive. It is an excellent Blues overdrive. But many prefer this tone, I liked it better myself. The Blues Deluxe also has a spring reverb which many prefer. As much as I love my HRD, I might trade mine in and go with the Blues Deluxe. So make sure to check this amp out as well. It is also 40 watts 1 X 12 like the HRD. You would absolutely need pedals for distortion.

Myself, I always use my GFX-1 to get distortions on the HRD. It is very effects friendly and my amp is quiet too. So I can get any tone I want this way.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Unless you run a tube amp at its saturation point or (sweet spot), it would be hard to compare them with anything. Reason is because they don't start to really come to life until then. As for Peavey I've seen Uncle Ted Nugget entertain some 60,000 plus and have them screaming for more. Think Cat Scratch fever when you think of Peavey Classic tone.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

forrok,

i thought ted used fender twin reverbs?

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Last fall at Fort McCoy he only used a Peavey and keep the stage rockin. Lately Krank and Kustom half stacks have been high on the list.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I own a Peavey Classic 30 and play it at home - I can tone it down to keep the boss happy when she's reading but man-o-man it can blow the doors off the hinges when I turn it up. Sounds sweet always 8)

I looked at several amps including the HRD when I purchased it a year ago - Haven't regretted the decision at all.

It's easy to transport and doesn't take up a lot of room at home.

As Wes stated the tubes are open in back - if you plan to transport it to gigs plan on buying the grill for the back.

BS :)

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

*strokes chin* any other audio examples of the Classic 30 in it's natural habitat?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote