Clear all

Let's talk about tubes...

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

For a while I've been looking for a tube-based guitar amplification setup, just for recording. However I don't seem to be finding what I'm after: an extremely low-wattage poweramp, preferrably in 19" racksize. Since it is just for recording I don't mind a shared EQ (or no EQ at all!), nothing needs to be footswitchable and no effects are needed. I know I could get something like a MB20:20 or something but it seems pretty pointless to have a battery of tubes only to tame them with attenuators. The pre-amp and cab won't be a problem, plenty of options around. Anyone able to name some low-wattage tube amps that are still being produced today?

In a worst-case scenario a combo or head is an option as long as their is an FX loop (and a speaker out for the combo), and it isn't too big (size does matter...), but a seperate poweramp is way preferred.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Arjen,
You could get what I use - the Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine. Although no longer produced, there are almost always items on ebay.
You get a 1W power amp (12AX7) and a preamp (also 12A?7). There are several outputs, switchable between Line and Instrument level, so it can be put directly into an amp, a PC or a PA - there's also a jack socket to connect to 8Ohm speakers. If you want a totally clean output, you can bypass the pre-amp stage (there's a pot on the back to set the balance between the "no-pre-amp" and the "pre-amp" output level) - it's also foot-switchable.
The housing is designed for 19" racks, being 1 slot high and 1/2 slot wide (9,5").

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Good call. I remember an occasion cream machine in a local store here, should have gotten it but didn't. I just checked ebay and there are currently two cream machines for sale in europe. I have absolutely no idea how ebay works at all (I only use a local dutch version of it) so I'll need to do some reading. :D

By the way, is it possible when sending it to a PA to deactivate any cab sims (does it have that actually?) and send it through other cab sims? I assume it sounds better when send into a proper guitar cab instead of a PA? And is it possible to hook up any other pre-amp to it when bypassing the internal pre-amp?

Thanks! :)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

By the way, is it possible when sending it to a PA to deactivate any cab sims (does it have that actually?) and send it through other cab sims? I assume it sounds better when send into a proper guitar cab instead of a PA? And is it possible to hook up any other pre-amp to it when bypassing the internal pre-amp?

Here's a link to the User's manual, that explains in far more detail than I can:
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/downloads.php?mode=downloads&mode=downloads&pk_art=&pk_id=30&pr_id=86&docID=1048
The main difference between a cab and a PA is the sound colouration of the speakers, which is the reason for the cab-emulator.
You can hok what you like, in front of the cream machine, as long as the output is at instrument level.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again, will read that, will probably answer all my others questions I might get.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What about condsidering driving a 100 watt tube amp into a dummyload. Add a couple line outs and a stereo out the combinations to connect are endless. The tone is beyond what most guitarist would ever imagine.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Or mabye just a fender pro junior. They are great for micing up and recording.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I love this amp and it is switchable from 16W to 5...

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=VINTAGE16&CID=VINT

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Here's an interesting amp/manufacturer

http://www.torresengineering.com/torresengineering/suplowpowtin.html

I always thought to try one out but never did.

Also you can turn up some other cool stuff googling 'micro watt amp'.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a few more that will have the audience begging for more.

Krank, Wizard, Dr. Z Amplification

joe

ReplyQuote