4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
My band is looking to perform in a local variety show, but I have some concerns about adequate PA equipment.
The band at a set of unmiked acoustic drums, a lead guitar with a 40w all tube guitar amp with 4 10" speakers, a rhythm guitar with a 100w solid state amp and a 50w all tube bass amp with a very high efficency 15" speaker in a large enclosure. We're looking to do a classic rock tune.
Unfortunately, the only sort of PA equipment I have is a small 80w Kustom Pa system with two 10"+horn cabs. I've only really used it to amplify my keyboards in practice before. Is this going to be enough to amplify the vocals(only one person singing)???

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It can absolutely work if the band can exercise common sense and keep the instrument volumes down. But if everybody likes to crank their amps and the drummer likes to play loud you will be hopelessly drowned out.
You will end up cranking your PA amp all the way up. It will distort, you will have all sorts of feedback. In other words, it will sound like ----, well, you know what I mean. You will probably end up blowing the speakers as well.

Music does not have to be loud to ROCK. It is the groove that counts. And I'll tell you something else. People enjoy music much more when it is not loud. I have been in places where you had to shout directly into someone's ear and they still couldn't tell what you are saying. You just end up leaving.

So, if you guys can be smart and mature, you can get a great mix at low volume. Then your system will work.

Get your songs down and get your mix down.

Let us know how you do at the show. Good Luck. Practice!!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Read through some of the lessons; they may give you some hints on how to get the most out of your system.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=177 and others...

And good luck with the gig!

-Laz

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, the guitar amps have gain controls, so it isn't nessecary to crank them for the right sound, and believe me, i've played a lot of jazz guitar with a farily large jazz band recently, so I know about "the groove", and lower volume levels.
Wish us luck...

ReplyQuote