Clear all

PA Speaker Suggestions

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been on a buying spree lately trying to get a small PA system put together for my upcoming wedding. We are doing our own music through our laptop.

So far I've got a QSC USA370 amp, ART 416 mixer, DOD SR430QXLR EQ, Behringer XM8500 mic, and Furman M-8 power conditioner. It has taken we weeks to figure out the best I could get for my very limited budget (my goal was to keep it cheaper than hiring a DJ would be). For our reception of about 120 people, I think this setup will do power wise. Plus, this should make a super home studio/practice setup (with an additional fx processor at some point).

OK, so now the big question is speakers. I THINK I've narrowed it down to two. Either Peavey PR-15's or B-52 MX-15's. Both are $400 shipped for the pair. Both get excellent reviews and spec wise seem very similar. Do any of you have experience with either of these speakers? Have any other suggestions for around the same price?

And a stupid connection question, but here's how I'm assuming all of this will be hooked up. Mic via XLR into channel one on the mixer. Laptop 1/8" to 2 1/4" "Y" adaptor into two channels on the mixer. Main mixer out into EQ left and right. EQ left right out to amp. Sound about right? I'm trying to figure how many cables I need and what kind. The QSC has banana plugs and the speakers have 1/4". Sound about right?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Myself, I would go with the Peavey's. I have heard these speakers and they really do sound very good. I also know some very experienced soundpeople who own these and say they are outstanding in their price range. Very big bottom end.

Yes, you simply go from your mic cable into the channel on your mixer (XLR). Come out of the mixer into your EQ, and then to the amp. I have never hooked up a computer to a mixing board, but those connections will probably work (read your manual).

I believe the Peavey's have both 1/4" and Speakon connectors. So you will need speaker cables with banana on one end and either 1/4" or Speakon the other.

Here is a great site on PAs. Give the tutorial a read, it will be a big help to you. There is also a very friendly message board with nice folks that will answer any questions you have.

Scott's PA Tutorial

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

look up behringer pro series, awesome stuff

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes, thanks for the link. I found a local guy selling the PR-15's for $50 less than new and they are only 6 months old. So I told him I'd take them. Should pick them up this weekend. As you said, everything I've read about them said they sound fanastic for a plastic enclosure and the bottom end is very good (shouldn't need a sub for my purposes).

I got to do a similar trial run of hooking up the laptop to a PA a few weeks ago at my sisters bday party. They had an outdoor party, using some JBL 10" powered speakers going into a small Behringer mixer (UB802). It sounded great. Actually, we couldn't even turn it up very loud. Those JBL's are very nice sounding. My setup should be similar, but with slightly better gear. We going to have a few outdoor parties at our house this summer and I'll give the whole setup a good working out then.

Leear, I actually had a set of those in my wishlist for awhile, but for just a tad more I can get the Peavey's. Like Wes said, sound guys seem to really like the Peavey's.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

yea i can't knock them i have a pair of the pr 12' s i use as monitors when i run sound shows. great holds power and lightweight, but i figured u were going this for a one time deal probably not going to use it much afterwards so the behringers are a tad cheaper and are awesome i now have a pair of them as monitors........

its funny i never stop buying pa equipment my rig keeps getin bigger and bigger. but i am now the proud owner of an entier Yamaha club V series FOH

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote