PA System - Samson XM410 Questions

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

One of the guys we jam with just picked a low end PA/mixer for our weekly jam sessions since we always have problems equalizing the sound from everyone.

Anyway he had some questions on some particular settings which I thought I'd see if anyone here knew about. It has to do with a mode setting. I've listed an excerpt frm the manual. As I read it now I think we just need to keep it in the main-main position as we don't have any monitors and I don't know what the bridge setting is for but I thought that might be for bridging another power amp or something that we don't have.

If anyone has any experience with this mixer or just this setting in general I'd be interested to hear the correct position to set this at.

POWER AMP SECTION
The XM410's power amplifier section can
be configured to operate several ways
depending on whether you need MAIN
plus MONITOR amplifiers to power your
speakers, or if you just need more power
for the MAIN speakers. The section below
describes the XM410 power amp modes.

Mode - Power amp Mode switch

The MODE switch is used to select one of
three different operating modes, MAIN-MONITOR,
MAIN-MAIN and MAIN-BRIDGE.

The following is a description of each of
the POWER operating modes:

CAUTION! Only change the power amp mode switch when the XM410's power is SWITCHED OFF!

MAIN-MONITOR
With this setting, the MAIN and MONITOR sections can be used independently. The MAIN bus signal will
be sent from the POWER AMP 2 A/B jacks, and the MONITOR bus signal will be sent from the POWER
AMP 1 A/B jacks.

MAIN-MAIN
With this setting, the two power amp channels can be used independently. The MAIN bus signal will be
output from the POWER AMP 1 A/B jacks (Rear Panel), and also, from the POWER AMP 2 A/B jacks (Rear
Panel 1).

MAIN-BRIDGE
With this setting, the two power amp channels (A and B) will be connected in bridge mode. Only the MAIN bus signal will be output from the BRIDGE jack.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I haven't used this particular amp, but experience with Carlsbro amps, and looking at the XM410 spec sheet online, suggests that Main-Main is the one to go for, unless you need for some particular reason to bridge the channels to get one 400W mono output.

In normal use, you'd select Main-Main, and connect one speaker to each of the power amp 1 and power amp 2 outputs. There's a jack for each 200W output (labelled Amp 1 and Amp 2) and a single jack for the 400W bridged output. Needless to say, if you select Main-Main, make sure you've a speaker connected to both jacks. If you only had one big speaker you'd select Bridge, and use the single Bridge jack.

(Obviously be careful of the impedance - note the back panel sticker telling you the recommended impedance for the different applications - Bridge is 8 ohms - the others, as is usual with PA gear, are 4 ohms.)

ReplyQuote