Clear all

feedback problem (noise gate?)

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@power-chord)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok when i turn my crate up to where its somewhat loud i get a real bad feedback problem, i dont think my pickups are bad they are practically brand new and they are seymours

wold a noise gate cut this out ,, which do u reccomend i was looking at the MXR m-135 smart gate
y
also i am looking for a new distortion pedal ,right now i have a line 6 uber metal and the distortion reall screams but i want a pedal that will give me like the three days grace, crossfade and cold sound, any suggestions,, i dont want like a metallica pedal

any help please

Lifes been Good To Me So Far

RANDY RHOADS 1956- 1982
DIME- 1966-2004

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lots of things cause feedback. If you are playing in a small area like a bedroom the sound bounces off the walls. Feedback is just a circle of sound. The sound is causing the strings to vibrate which goes into the amp, comes back out again and makes the strings vibrate more. You could try positioning your amp somewhere else, or even standing in another location. You could soundproof the room. Hang up some carpets or blankets on the walls.

Semi-hollow and hollowbody guitars are especially susceptible to feedback. You don't say what kind of guitar you have.

Noise gates turn down the sound when you are not playing. They are especially useful to eliminate noise from pedals that tend to make noise and hum like high gain distortion pedals when you are not playing. A noise gate will probably help some.

You could try turning down the gain on that distortion pedal.

I am not familiar with these groups, but you should probably look for pedals labeled "overdrive" pedals. This is not as high gain as Metal distortion pedals.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A noise gate won't help much. An EQ set to cut down the feedback frequency will.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

just move away from the amp................and get a blues driver or overdrive from boss

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote