Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

....PA

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

is a power amp  and a mixer   the same thing as a powered mixer? And  does a guitar sound good through a PA system

(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Yes, a power amp + mixer = a powered mixer, just like a mixer + powered speakers = a powered mixer + non powered speakers.

You don't say whether the guitar is acoustic or electric, but with some sort of preamp, direct box, modeling device then the answer is yes, it will work.

I run my acoustic through a tube pre-amp with several pedals available too, like chorus, reverb and/or delay, eq and then into my powered mixer and out through my PA speakers and monitors... a fairly common practice among acoustic players.

I have also used the line out on my electric guitar amp (versus mic'n' it) and plugged it into the powered mixer and that works too.  

Mic'n the amps (and everything for that matter) is what the sound guys do to get control of the sound and make it sound even throughout the entire hall.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@wailingalleycat)

Actually i would say that most sound guys (including myself) would prefer to run guitar through a D.I box because there is no risk of feedback.

However some performers prefer to have their amps mic'd up because its a more natural sound and/or they want to keep the settings on their own amp.

hope i've enlightened you (lol)

-Paul

Always remember that feedback is verypainful to the ears and should not be used against someone for a joke. HAHA

ReplyQuote