Clear all

What's a mic preamp?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What is a mic pre amp for?  I have an 80 watt pa that I run two vocal mics through and a couple of acoustic guitars.  I was wanting to add some sort of vocal effects.  I have heard that some use tube mics or mic preamps that can add some sort of distortion.  I am new to this.  Please help me. What is a good set up for vocals at a small house party?  As I said, I have an 80 watt Pa, and that will not change any time soon.  I have two decent mics, but I will buy a sure sm if they truly are better.  I have seen the digitech vocal effects units and I have seen mic preamps for sale on ebay.  What is a good setup?  Thanks.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, A Mic tube preamp can give you real nice smooth vocal sound.

Some disagree using such equipment of vocals is just a way of covering up bad singing.
Thats their opinion.
Everyone I know that sings professionally uses something to enhance their vocals.

I would start with A tube preamp made by ART would work just fine. then if money permits look into getting a compressor, maybe an exciter or enhancer, an EQ, and some kind of Fx. All this can be picked up rather inexpensively on E-bay.

I've experimented with both my guitar and vocals searching for a sound.

Well here's what I've been using and doing.
I split the incoming Mic signal so one side goes directly in to 1 channel, the other one goes into a tube Mic preamp then out stereo into channels 2 an 3. On the channels direct out I have a compressor, exciter, FX unit, EQ, which run back into the direct returns. Plus on channel ones direct outs I use a ART MP1 guitar tube preamp, an Aphex exciter, Fx unit.  the ART MP1 has a great stereo chorus. this comes back into four more channels on the board. yes my setup uses that many channels. A little bit of this and a little bit of that makes the world go round.

I'm in no way shape or form Recommending that you go out and spend an arm and a leg buying equipment. I'm only explaining what I use and how. And yes most of it I use is high end equipment.  I'am only trying to Help by giving you ideas on ways to be creative on a vocal setup.

Just my thoughts....Joe

ReplyQuote