Clear all

Peavey MACE

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok I jammed with some guys last night and of course i brought my HRD and the other guitar player loved it (he was playing a cybertwin) (IMHO POS) Anyway he said come back here let me show you some other amps I have, He had a Fender Twin (original) a peavey classic 50 tweed head, and a Peavey Mace, now the MACE was out so I plugged up (this is an all tube amp by the way) It got down right dirty at times, has a built in phaser, and did have prestine hi's.... But I've never heard of them anyone got a comment

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I had one a long time ago.
It's a serious metal preamp.
Basically two tones ... clean and metal chainsaw.

The unfortunate part is it doesn't have bypass, which would have been really nice with a tube amp.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Ahh, memories! The Mace was the first serious amp I ever owned and the first amp I did a bar gig with. A REALLY loud amp. It has a great clean channel, the OD channel was ok for the classic and southern rock I was doing down in FL in the late '70s/early '80's, but sounded better using a distortion pedal through the clean channel. The reverb sounded rather "boingy", and certainly didn't compare to a Twin. As I recall, the OD channel had quite a bit of "hiss" when the gain was cranked. Never did care for the built-in phase shifter effect much. Overall, as with most Peavey gear, it's a great "bang for the buck". If you need loud, the Mace certainly delivers, especially if it has the original Black Widow 12's that many Maces came with as mine did.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

The Mace and Deuce are not actually all tube- they have SS preamps and tube power sections. They are killer pedal amps, I keep a Deuce for any high volume gigs. I use it about once every 6 months- it is LOUD. I almost killed a buddy's 50 watt Marshall with it. As a guitar-to-amp type amp, it isn't good; the overdrive is awful, and any effects onboard are questionable. I kinda like the reverb, personally. You have to apply it carefully, a little goes a long way.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I had one from the early seventies, great amp. Gary Rossingtons amp of choice from Lynard Skynard!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote