Clear all

Pedal order

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but what order should my pedals be in?

Currently I have;

Boss DS-1 ---- AXL Delay/echo ----- Rocktek Flanger

I believe this would be the best way to have them, as the delay needs to be after distortion becuase the sound gets muddy otherwise, then the flanger after that, because... it looks pretty...

Anyways, in the not too distant future I intend to be getting the following pedals; Compressor, EQ, Volume (and a pedal tuner, but that doesn't really count).

Where should these go in the chain? And should I run the whole lot between guitar and amp, or all of them through the effects loop, or some in the loop and some between guitar and amp? I find that the effects loop tends to weaken the sound of the effects...

Any input (no pun intended :wink: ) would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Peter

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I would go for distortion-Flanger-Echo. Compressors can be both before or after, but having them before might give you volume problems when activating it mid-song. You can place EQs everywhere, and many have multiple EQs in their chain. Volume pedal before distortion could end up like a gain control (lower input, less distortion), whereas it is a pure volume control after the distortion. Set the tuner as first pedal, since most effects do not have true bypass, and you want the pure guitar signal into the tuner.

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

here is how it should go. unit's that detect an envelope should be connected close to the guitar. connect EQ after your distortion. connect reverb units toward the end of the effect chain. taking advantage of stereo connections will add depth and dimension to any application.

Here's an example how to set it up....

guitar> compressor/limitor> Distortion> modulation> delay> multi voice chorus> reverb>>>AMP

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I would go for distortion-Flanger-Echo.

I second that!

My setup is:

Guitar----->Crybaby Wah----->Zakk Wylde OD---->DS-1---->digitech delay---->amp

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Once you get use to how and what the different effects sound like, what's left is your imagination. There is no right or wrong way of connecting effects together. Be brave and experiment let your imagination run wild with the possibilities, their endless. Here give it to Joe, he'll try anything and everything. You wouldn't believe some of things I've experimented with and plugged my guitar into. I love every minute of trying fine something to be different and unique.

Finding the right sound and tone for different styles of music is important. Next time your listening to some of your favorite tunes see if you can pick out what effects are being used and how much of each one is adjusted. Also try adjusting your effects and amp (a.k.a = Rig) to duplicate what you hear. That also helps you become more familiar with how different effects sound and how the controls are used to adjust them.

Usually based on some facet of the human ear's abilities to figure out from amplitude and frequency content the variations of what a sound source is doing. Takes practice just the same as anything else. Some you'll be able to pick up on right away and others will come with patience. Now before you get to carried way you should dial in your amp for a flat-response clean tone. The purpose is to attain a pure clean tone before adding other effects to your signal, this is for overall tone. Meaning if your amp and guitar sound good before you add anything, then anything additional will only improve on what you already have.

I know you've heard myself and others recommending all tube guitar amps first to the point we sound like scratched records.(even myself about Equalizers and attenuators). There is a reason why but right now thats not the topic of discussion. If need be I know I can take a pedal such as a Zoom 505 or other brand name pedal and plug into a solid state amp and give the the folks what they came for. A guitar that can go from clean to screaming with just a click of a switch.

Some of the most common signal chains are below. A Guitar rig needs to achieve a balance between sound and tone while using effective use of tone shaping and effects changes.

Guitar-> Wah-> Octave-> Noise gate-> Compressor-> Distortion-> Eq-> Modulation effects (chorus,phaser,flanger,tremolo,etc)-> Delay-> Reverb-> Amp.

Guitar-> Wah-> Compressor-> Distortion-> Modulation effects-> Amp.

Here's a list of effects I use mainly, any part of the effects combinations can be turned in and out of the signal chain with a Midi pedal. Sometimes things change from day to day and experiment to experiment.

Guitar-> wireless-> Equalizer-> Tube preamp-> first there's Analog effects-> Compressor-> Expander-> Distortion-> Exciter-> Envelope Filter-> Noise Gate-> Equalizer-> AES (acoustic environment simulator)-> Digital Contour->Digital effects-> Low pass-> Chorus-> Reverb-> Regen DDl(digital delay)-> Equalizer-> Power amp-> Attenuators-> Equalizer-> Speaker cabinet. This set up gives me loads of power at low volume and doesn't get very loud. I run the other outs on the attenuators to a Equalizer and another power amp, then more speaker cabinets, and I also use generally four Mic's for the sound-man.

Hope it helps

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Geez - Joe, I was waiting for your reply on this one. I have a question about how much you use certain effects. I imagine you always have your equalizers, pre-amp, exciter, etc. turned on. So do you usually (according to the song) just use some modulation effects and distortion. Like chorus for one song and delay for another or a combo here and there in different parts? I have recently started using a tube preamp on one of my amps(solid state) and not the other. The one I don't use the tube pre-amp with I am Micing into an acoustic amp. That's just at home, 'cause I don't perform out live like you, but I like the results and feel it could be carried out live or something similar. I am hoping for that tube amp soon.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Quote:" other outs on the attenuators to a Equalizer and another power amp "

This last power amp is a solidstate amp after the attenuators, which I can use for volume if need be. The reason I use this is I want as transparent reproduction of the overdriven output tubes. It's amplifying the saturated output tube power amps with the attenuators. If I was to increase the volume of the tube power amps by turning the attenuators off I would loose the overdriven saturated output and thats what I'm after.

I spend allot of time writing the presets and adjusting the effects just for there intended style, song, rhythm, or lead. Example: If a band sent me a song list for a coming venue, I would need to write presets to sound just like the original. If its an original song then they would say we need your guitar to sound like this or like that. Which means switching effects in and out and changing presets. Mostly trial an error to find what I think and hear in my mind.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Here is a useful description of EFX sequences and how to use an effect loop:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=227

-Laz

ReplyQuote