Clear all

Placement of Effects Pedals in Chain?

26 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Your room is becoming filled with cables and pedals Mike! LOL

I hope I can get around to buying some pedals soon.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Your room is becoming filled with cables and pedals Mike! LOL

I hope I can get around to buying some pedals soon.

I just won a Behringer ULTRAPATCH PRO PX2000 for $40 from eBay so I am hoping to solve that problem once it arrives. I am just about to post a question regarding wiring a patchpay on GN.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What I do is take a sheet of printer paper and fold it in half. That way I can get 4 different wiring diagrams on one sheet of paper. I set back and I think up how I want to connect everything. Then I draw it all out on paper and connect everything. Turn everything on and play for awhile to evaluate how it sounds. Then I rethink how it might sound if I did this or that. Then draw it out again with the changes and hook it up like the new drawing. Play on it some while still thinking of exploring possibilities.

After much brainstorming about every possible way to connect everything to get the best possible sound and some ways for creating certain type's. By drawing out all the different ways of connecting and making notes as to what it sounded like. Makes it easy when I want to connect to get a certain tone or have to pack for transporting and reconnecting when I get where I need to setup and play.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Wow what do you guys do with all those pedals I don't know. I would spend hours just playing with them all just to find a place I would like to hang out at.

I used to have a couple of modelers and found I would only use 2 settings out of many dozens.

Nowadays I have a Carvin tube amp, an Ibanez tube screamer, a Fish n Chips EQ (that I do not always use) and a Weber Attenuator. I have the perfect tone I like and just tweak the screamer once in a while, don't even touch my amp settings once I tweaked it where I like it.

And I have a huge pile of other amps and gear from my past GAS attacks going up on ebay to bring some money back in and make room in my livingroom.

I even settled in with a favorite guitar and the others are wall art now.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Wow what do you guys do with all those pedals I don't know. I would spend hours just playing with them all just to find a place I would like to hang out at.

I used to have a couple of modelers and found I would only use 2 settings out of many dozens.

Nowadays I have a Carvin tube amp, an Ibanez tube screamer, a Fish n Chips EQ (that I do not always use) and a Weber Attenuator. I have the perfect tone I like and just tweak the screamer once in a while, don't even touch my amp settings once I tweaked it where I like it.

And I have a huge pile of other amps and gear from my past GAS attacks going up on ebay to bring some money back in and make room in my livingroom.

I even settled in with a favorite guitar and the others are wall art now.

Since I like to play cover tunes by MANY different bands having the various effects helps to create the right tone. It's a great feeling when you are able to learn a song you like by your favorite artist but when it actually SOUNDS like the band it just gives me chills. I finally got the beginning of You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC and when Wes mentioned that the Daddy-O can get a great Angus Young tone I was able to get the right tone and I was overjoyed when I heard it! I also nailed Tony Iomni's tone for Paranoid. I am working on a Randy Rhoads tone now (I got it on my V-AMP but would like to tune it in on my pedals). Plus it helps to motivate me to play. Yes much of it is noodling but I found that it's the noodling that gets me to learn different techniques, chord formations, picking styles, etc. I usually start my practice noodling then realize need to learn something to play it right. I like to learn 4-5 songs at a time even if it's only parts of the song. I always tend to go back to the song after my playing improves and I get a little bit farther. It's what works for me I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yeah I hear ya Mike. It is hard to stick to one song when there is a road block of technique that takes time to get good at.

I am playing the first minute of a song, the intro of a video lesson song and I was able to play the whole intro the second day but the speed at which my teacher plays is incredible and although I can play it, it sounds nothing like him, playing the notes is such a tiny part of the music, the articulation will take a very long time to pull the right sounds out of the notes, he bends the heck out of the strings and at lightning speed. The song is 5 minutes and 40 seconds long. The first minute is around 3 pages of tab. I don't care how long it takes me to play it or how much money it costs me at $75 a lesson to be able to play it, it is a masterpiece of guitar playing.

Incorporating different songs with different techniques to work on make overall playing improve, I notice that often.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

i have to try out that Daddy-O overdrive now! If you can nail the Angus and Iommi sounds then I am sold! I am just wondering Mike if you could perhaps post some clips of your tone. That would be awesome.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here are some quick clips I just did of the Daddy-O doing Angus Young and Tony Iomni...do let my bad playing discourage you from getting this pedal. Itg really is fantastic!

You Shook Me All Night Long

Paranoid

And yes I know I screwed up the Paranoid riff...I missed a few things. I haven't played it in about 10 days and didn't have the tab in front of me. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

There is also Uncle Theodore!

Cat Scratch Fever

It's the ultimate classic rock eeffect!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Sounds like you've got the tone down for those songs. Great ear. Keep working on the guitar parts you'll get them. Then one day you'll pickup your guitar and everything you play will sound so good you won't want to put it down.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member

That daddy-o sounds really good. I would get one, but i don't have the money cause i just baught another guitar.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2