Clear all

playing live with loops

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@frequeniquity)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Some friends of mine and I were messing around with garageband and recorded a pretty good song. It started off with some strings (played through a keyboard via midi) that were very legato and they played through the verse. When the chorus comes around a beat comes in that sounds, as best as I can decribe, industrial. We showed it to some people and they want us to play it live.

Obviously we are going to need the drum loop played. My question is how can we keep the tempo in the beginning of the song so that the beat comes in at the right time. When we recorded it we had the metronome playing so it wasnt a problem. Is there a way that we can play the song live without having a metronome that every one would hear?

the "sound system" is a powerbook, a tascam 122, and garageband or logic if needed.

Basically I just want the keyboard player to hear the clicks and no one else. I obviously would need headphones but is there anything else that is needed? Is it possible with this software and gear?

You can dance, you can dance, everybody look at your pants.

(@frequeniquity)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i forgot to mention that we do also have a regular PA located in the back of the venue and have wedge monitors for the musicians on the stage. in other words, the regular accoutrements for playing live. :D

It would also be just the strings, vocals, bass, and backing track, no live drummer.

You can dance, you can dance, everybody look at your pants.

ReplyQuote
(@drgonzo)
Eminent Member

Hmm... if you recorded the backing track as a mono .wav file, you could then put the metronome as another mono file. You can then use a program such as soundforge to combine these two mono files into a split stereo file (make sure it's split stereo, not intereaved!).

Now, re-import this audio into whatever sequencer you're using (garageband, logic etc.). This is where the funky part comes in. Take your stereo feed from the computer and put it into two channels of your mixing desk. now you can have the drums heading out front, and you lot on stage can still hear the metronome. Simple!

ReplyQuote