Clear all

power ratings for amps

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@austinman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I understand that amps may be rated in Peak or RMS (continuos). And I think I understand the difference between the two. But i spoke to a tech support person at Behringer, and he told me that they use something called IEC 268-5 or IEC 2368-2, I can't remember which. Does anyone know what that means? The Behringer guy couldn't explain it to me in a way that I understood. Specifically, my amp puts out 400 watts per side at 4 ohms. Is that Peak or Continuous? How does IEC relate?

(@leear)
Honorable Member

technically its RMS but ur amp can not really push out that much to a speaker due to long cable runs and cable ratings I.E. 12gauge 14 gauge.....all this creates power drop........... so a 400/ch @4ohms is more along the lines of 350-380RMS/ch @4ohms that is how i have always understood it.... now some hire end amps like crests and QSC's can actually put out 400RMS at 4ohms. it all depends on the amp

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

IEC 268-5 and 2368-2 are industry standards I believe, but don't ask me to explain them. But these standards would specify a certain method of testing an amplifier so that accurate comparison against others could be determined. You can probably search and find out what the exact criteria of these standards are.

Here is an interesting and very informative article about amplifiers I think you will like.

http://www.rocketroberts.com/techart/powerart_a.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

technically its RMS but ur amp can not really push out that much to a speaker due to long cable runs and cable ratings I.E. 12gauge 14 gauge.....all this creates power drop........... so a 400/ch @4ohms is more along the lines of 350-380RMS/ch @4ohms that is how i have always understood it.... now some hire end amps like crests and QSC's can actually put out 400RMS at 4ohms. it all depends on the amp

When not specified, ratings are RMS. Different amps have different peak capabilities, and other differences.

Cabling affects all amplifiers equally. Longer cables need to be bigger. A 12 gauge cable is pretty large.

Laz

ReplyQuote