Notifications
Clear all

problem w/clean channel on Traynor YCV40WR

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@juncobath)
Topic starter  

Anyone have much experience with Traynor tube amps? I bought a used YCV40WR a few years ago and have always had trouble getting a good clean tone. The channel starts to break up after 3 and already sounds pretty distorted by 5. Is that just how these amps are? Do I just have to keep the volume super low to get an actual clean?

Bandmates who've listened to the amp agree that it sounds too distorted, so I took the amp to an authorized Traynor repair center thinking maybe the tubes were bad. They did something to the preamp circuit, charged me $100, and the amp came back sounding exactly the same.

I'd love any suggestions for amp settings, pedals, or amp modifications that could help me out.

http://www.tracermetula.com

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

“The band specializes in…irony-free, guitar-based rock." I like that.

Jacob, you have a fantastic sound down there in Atlanta, nice move, great band.

I enjoyed your website, and the music is hard rockin' and will soon be knockin' on other label's doors.

I've spoken to people who own this amp, as well as the people that were around when it got "cloned" or copied as a Traynor for Yorkville sound, or so I heard privately, and I hope reliably. I've been told that it generally gets used as a recording amp, and I don't know if they get gigged much. If it was either identical in every way to the Fender Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe which inspired the trend, it would be a different story IMO. They are out there, some with mods, getting lugged around, pounded for all they're worth, and working. I like my first '97 Blues Deluxe from La Brea, and will never part with it. Got an '07 MIM too celebrating 10 years?

Your amp was intended to be a classic made from the same or similar mold, but unfortunately they didn't make the cut. It was configured by a genius, or a wizard - a real engineer or executive from Long & McQuade in Western Canada, imported to Toronto to do the design for Yorkville. Pete Traynor is no longer around to confirm that, but I think he was very disappointed, and this was after he stepped down from his own Company. The idea for the amp was good, like building the Cobra sports car to knock off Ferrari's, or building the Viper to silence Corvettes, but it didn't work, like Shelby made it happen with his cars. Sorry if it seems off-topic, but Shelby made NEW, better cars, not copies of the original from cheaper parts. Some are good or pro, I don't know which, there are so many to choose from.

http://www.traynoramps.com/default.asp?p_id=2

Okay, now we have to get your amp gig-worthy, and I had this post saved in storage for 10 hours, because I just did another post like it lately and don't want to steal all this opportunity to get 2 different amps worthy or up to their potential. And I'm heading out for a trip, and not going to be around for awhile. I think I've posted too much.

So here's what I wrote and saved 10 - 11 hours ago:

I know the amp and was told about it when it was being developed, and by whom, here in Canada.

Hi, you're new, so welcome, and I'll be brief, not too explicit. I hope you can fix the amp right for you.

This is your problem IMO. 3 of these factory-installed cheapies: http://thetubestore.com/sovtek12ax7wa.html

Compare at 5 times the price, but this is real quality, not a factory chosen cost-savings nightmare to the consumer.

http://thetubestore.com/12ax7wa.html

And these are what solves the problem, though you could get by with just 1, for the clean channel, and leave the other 2 OEM or cheap pieces of glass in for boost or gain/crunch and overdrive, and for the reverb driver. Or buy 3 new for $60.

http://thetubestore.com/sylvania5751.html

2 whole sets which are upgrades, I recommend these:

http://thetubestore.com/traynor-ycv40.html

I would choose the premium, already recommended set and move on.

That's basically my advice - but you can check it as the Tube Store says. That alone was brief, and I mean no harm.

Here is what the sales pitch says about your amp, I would take it seriously describing features or specs and that is enough of an insight into the logistics of the amp. Actual quality is in the ears of the beholder?

Traynor YCV40
The first guitar amp for the new generation of Traynors is the Custom Valve 40 (YCV40). Real tube overdrive is provided by three Sovtek 12AX7WA dual triode preamp tubes while real tube power is provided by two Sovtek 5881WXT beam power tubes. The internal gadgetry in this channel switching amp provides good flexibility, but makes it very easy to get a great tone. The combination of the tube power and the Celestionâ„¢ Red Label speaker is magical. The three basic tones (clean, crunch and overdrive) are easily defined. With great tone at low levels, and shine and punch at full tilt, the Custom Valve 40 is already receiving rave reviews. We challenge you to compare us to the competition. You'll love the tone and instantly recognize the value.

Although signal-to-noise is not normally a specification that is discussed where guitar amplifiers are concerned, the ultra-quiet Custom Valve 40 makes it an issue. Experienced professional users will appreciate the auto-matching tube circuit that maintains bias balance as tubes age ensuring hum free performance. Also, the DC filaments on the preamp tubes that all but eliminate hum. Listen carefully. Although the YCV40 has a tremendous amount of gain it remains virtually hum free.

The unique "nouveau-retro" packaging of this amp makes it perfect for the leading edge or historical enthusiasts. Though the look is very fresh, the Custom Valve 40 stays true to the original Traynor line with black vinyl-covering, chrome plated corners, all plywood construction, and a classic front-mounted Traynor logo. The rear mounted control panel is easy to access, yet recessed for protection. And the warranty? Yorkville's standard two year (even if you break it!) transferable warranty*. The one that made Traynor famous in the sixties.
*Warranty valid in Canada & United States only.

Features

Auto-matching tube circuit maintains bias balance as tubes age ensuring hum free performance throughout tube life
DC filaments on preamp tubes eliminate hum
Fully regulated power supply with tube rectifier emulation
Long Accutronics spring reverb
Classic Celestionâ„¢ speaker
All plywood enclosure
Heavy gauge perforated grille with cloth cover
Custom design "Chicken Beak" knobs
Specifications

Type: Tube Guitar Amplifier
Cabinet Impedance (ohms): 8
Power @ min. impedance: 40 Watts
Minimum Impedance (ohms): 4
Speaker Configuration: 12"/40 Watts
Input Channels: 2
Channel 1 - inputs: 1/4" phone
Channel 1 - controls: Gain, Volume, Treble, Bass, Middle
Channel 1 - switches: Boost
Channel 2 - inputs: Shares Channel 1
Channel 2 - controls: Volume, Treble, Bass, Middle
Channel 2 - switches: Channel Select, Brightness
Master Volume Control: Yes
Main Tone Controls: Presence
Line Out (type/configuration): 1/4" TRS/Rear (effects send)
Effects Volume: Yes
Effects Loop/Location: Yes/Rear
Effects Footswitch/Function: Yes/Channel Select/Boost
Internal Reverb/Effects: Spring Reverb
LED Indicators: Channel/Boost/Power/Standby
External Speaker Output/Location: 1/4"/Rear with internal speaker defeat
Other Features: Standby Switch – Activates standby mode to keep the tubes warm while the amp is not in use; Auto Tube-matching Circuit; Preamp Tube - 3x Sovtek 12AX7WA Dual Triodes (Russia); Power Amp Tube - 2x Sovtek 6L6GB Beam Power Tubes (Russia); DC filaments on preamp tubes eliminate hum; Fully regulated power supply with tube rectifier emulation; Perforated Steel Grille
Dimensions (D x W x H): 9.5" x 23" x 18"
Weight: 47.2 lbs

Traynor YCV40 - Direct quote from http://www.fullcompass.com/product/338204.html

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@juncobath)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the kind words about my band. And thanks for all the great information. I've never personally attempted any work on my gear, but I'm seriously considering it after spending $100 to have nothing improve with my amp.

That premium package of tubes looks very tempting, but having just blown that $100, I think I'll have to go with the cheapest solution for now. So I should be able to switch in one JAN-Philips 5751 preamp tube for the clean channel and get that higher volume clean? That would be great. If I have the facts straight from my brief internet researching, I should be able to just switch that out and I don't have to worry about biasing or anything else, yeah?

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanks for the kind words about my band. And thanks for all the great information. I've never personally attempted any work on my gear, but I'm seriously considering it after spending $100 to have nothing improve with my amp.

That premium package of tubes looks very tempting, but having just blown that $100, I think I'll have to go with the cheapest solution for now. So I should be able to switch in one JAN-Philips 5751 preamp tube for the clean channel and get that higher volume clean? That would be great. If I have the facts straight from my brief internet researching, I should be able to just switch that out and I don't have to worry about biasing or anything else, yeah?

Good work Jacob, and research. My head's not back on straight yet after an incredible trip (easy for most people to handle, but I'm still blown away) to Winnipeg, staying up 40 hours straight at one point, checkin' out huge independent retailers or dealers and seeing thousands of guitars and hundreds of amps - over-stimulation with eye candy, and touching, playing, hearing all types of acoustic guitars, as well all kinds of new people that were in the biz at some point - yeah I'm spinning like a top, but tired!

Too bad that Johnny Cash is no longer around? He left literally hundreds of people in the Industry that worked with him or for him, or because of him - the technical stuff and "production" for such an artist goes on forever, a whole empire exists around an icon, until the person is gone, it seems.

And I suggest you go meet or audition for Doc Walker sometime, I didn't see them, just one of their former guitarists, and they're friendly enough to give you a connection, if they like your music? An opening spot would be nice. You're in Atlanta, they're not that far, or could be coming to a venue near you, IDK?

There's more to come, actually I'm going to be busy for about a month, and w/too much traveling, but we're going to jam w/some session players and work on refining a new Blues harp player in May, in Thunder Bay.

Yes, you can replace just the clean preamp tube, and going by what it says there - your amps electronic circuitry, and self-biasing should make the adjustments.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote