Product Review Zoom H4 recorder

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

This isn't a technical review since I don't actually own one but I was out with a buddy Saturday and we stopped over some guys house that has a band and a nice big double garage turned into a band room.

The room itself was awesome big, high ceilings etc. Big 16-20 channel mixer, drums etc. Everything you'd want but the most impressive thing was the Zoom H4.

My friend who plays bass with us I guess was over there a few weeks ago and they recorded the session using the Zoom H4 which is the size of a small cassette player (fits in your hand).

So he connected the output to run through the PA so I could hear what they did and I have to say I was blown away by the clarity of sound from this thing. There is like zero setup required you put it down somewhere in the room and hit record and viola. This thing was amazing with the way it sounded. No messing trying to get a mix right etc.

The price is like $299 so it's not the cheapest recorder but I am seriously thinking about getting one it was that good. He said he records everything now since it is so easy, practices, shows whatever.

If you are looking for a good way to record your band check this out I don't think you will be disappointed.

Here's a link http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@alangreen)

It's getting good reviews this side of the pond too. Zoom make excellent kit, I have a bunch of their multi-FX boxes

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks for the review Chris!
It's getting good reviews this side of the pond too. Zoom make excellent kit, I have a bunch of their multi-FX boxes
I agree. I have a multi-fx and it has some pretty good effects. And I also have a rhythm box by Zoom and the sounds are clear and it is very easy to create complex patterns.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think the H4n has supplanted the H4.

I have an H4, and can confirm it works very well as a ready-to-go stereo audio recorder. I've never bothered to use the 4-track recording capabilities, but expect they work as advertised. the positives far outweigh the negatives of this device. here are my negatives: the UI is not intuitive -- it is like a cross between an old BlackBerry or Sony-Ericsson phone (side wheel, push-to-select) and a newer phone or BlackBerry with a 5-way switch; it has both, and the mapping of functions to each of these is consistent, but not well considered -- probably one reason it is relatively inexpensive: not much UI design & engineering. the second negative only applies to the far-sighted: the screen is too small to be read unaided by anyone from their mid to late 40s and older. third(ly): don't really expect to mixdown on it -- bouncing tracks: yes, but real mixing: no. just export to a PC and do it there.

but again: it's basic audio performance, portability and nerdy coolness make it an overall positive. the H4n addresses some of my criticisms -- notably improved display and (I think) a clearer UI environment. should you only wish to record live stereo, save money and buy an H1 (new toy, cheap!) or the also-well-respected H2.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info Greg and you're right for anyone over 40 it is a bit tough to see the dispaly but now you have me thinking about the H1 and H2 I'll have to check them out since all I would need it for now is to record live stereo.

OK Greg since I really at this point only want to record live stereo I went ahead and ordered the H2.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote